Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Limping AKo?

I remember Clark's post. He was "experimenting" with limping up front with AK so that he would get raised by weaker aces that would have otherwise folded to a raise. As I recall this was an experiment and he was going to get back to us (I can't find the post as he has a zillion and the search function is awful). Overall, I think it is a bad idea to limp with AK. If you only win the blinds that is okay. If you get coldcalled by the whole table and a few from the rail that is okay too. Get the money in with the best hand.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been burned too many times playing AK too aggressively and left holding my nuts while watching someone else take the pot with a mid-pair. Depending on the game, I prefer to limp in until I see the flop before I do anything. Seems to work better for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a joke, right?
Old 11-13-2004, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that's a joke, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a joke? First off I said depending on the game. That means:

-whats my position
-has there been any raises in front of me
-what kind of players am I playing with
-how much money do I have in front of me
-am I playing shorthanded or full table
-am I in a tournament or regular table
-whats my mental state and that of my opponents

I think you will find any great poker player would tell you the same thing. Your playing strategy must change all the time because your opponents change. If you cant adjust and strictly play by the book...you will die by the book.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:51 PM

Keep in mind that most players, especially in the Party 5-10 (I'm supposing that's what you're playing) are bad. They make bad plays.

Understand, however, that many of their "bad" plays, like limping w/ AKo, are bad because they fail to maximize EV against the majority of players, who are bad. These "bad" plays, however, can easily trick you and cost you EV. Against good players like yourself, deception on later streets can be worth a loss of EV on earlier streets.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that's a joke, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a joke? First off I said depending on the game. That means:

-whats my position
-has there been any raises in front of me
-what kind of players am I playing with
-how much money do I have in front of me
-am I playing shorthanded or full table
-am I in a tournament or regular table
-whats my mental state and that of my opponents

I think you will find any great poker player would tell you the same thing. Your playing strategy must change all the time because your opponents change. If you cant adjust and strictly play by the book...you will die by the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, sure I agree with you that sometimes you need to change gears, adjust, whatever.

But your earlier post said you "prefer" to limp with AK, as in that is your default play.

I guess one could argue that it is good to only raise an unraised pot with AK 80% of the time, or something in that neighborhood.

I just think getting bets into the pot when your pot equity is high is good strategy.

How much money you have in front of you? We're talking about Limit Hold 'Em, right? I don't understand what you mean there.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:06 AM

Well, there is no default play but lately I have found I have been rewarded with decent pots by limping in and nailing my opponent with check raises after the initial flop. But thats now...ask me next week or even my next game and I could give you a different answer.

I'll tell you something else that you may or may not be aware of. According to Poker Listings, out of all the hold card combinations AK is the most re-raised (pre-flop). This is another reason why I may not raise because if I know that tidbit, someone else may know the same thing and I could be giving my hand away. Sound crazy? I thought so too until I started taken notice to the re-raiser and if he had to show his cards at the end of the hand more times than not it was AK.

Watch out for it in the future..you will see what I mean.