Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 08:09 PM

Default Splitting SnGs

Maybe I am out of my gourd but...

Wouldnt it be best to split the prize money in a sng when you hit 5 or 6 people? even if you did it at the 6 man mark, you would each make a 51.5% roi AND it would take half the time as a normal SnG.

Even a good chip lead at this point would be worth sacrificing for the 51% roi, and the short time it took.

BUT

are you even allowed to split sngs? Why not, it means more $RAKE$ for them.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Splitting SnGs

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I am out of my gourd but...

Wouldnt it be best to split the prize money in a sng when you hit 5 or 6 people? even if you did it at the 6 man mark, you would each make a 51.5% roi AND it would take half the time as a normal SnG.

Even a good chip lead at this point would be worth sacrificing for the 51% roi, and the short time it took.

BUT

are you even allowed to split sngs? Why not, it means more $RAKE$ for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're missing something important: if that was the deal, and everyone knew it, they would play tremendously differently, and the results (as far as your likelihood of making it into the top 5 or 6) would not at all be the same as they are when only 3 get paid.

eastbay
Old 11-11-2004, 09:03 PM

I already thought about that.

If a group of people (say 2+2) started asking at tables for this then maybe it would start to catch on a little. As it grows for a while it will get easier and easier. It would peak for a while, then the tables would start getting too passive. Ride it out untill it seems too pasive. Then start picking and chosing your tables. If one is obviously too passive trying for the split method then start stealing hands.

Just for fun I started saying to everyone.. "hey lets split it 5 ways." They all think im joking.

I dont see this as ever working, just a stupid thought to occupy my mind. Besides I am 90% sure that pary skins wont alow it anyways.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:08 PM

Yeah, there's no way to split on party, even in the big tournaments. Only way to do it is via trust. That wouldn't last in the SnGs.

eastbay
Old 11-11-2004, 09:23 PM

It just works to reduce variance. I believe my advantage over most others increases as the table gets shorter. So I'd hate it.

edit: I often got asked to chop and did so; mostly to be nice and get on with the next one. Now I refuse unless its someone I know is tough or a regular I'm friendly with.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:04 PM

For fun I kept asking at my tables to split it last night. I had like 3 people that actualy understood the concept, and why it was a good deal. One table I was chip leader by a long shot and was asking. People wouldnt even respond to such madness.

I got into a pissing contest with one guy. "Pro poker players dont split anything, they go for 1st always!" I replied that a good pro poker player will always make the best EV choice. "Doyle didnt get where he is by spliting anything" I stopped talking when someone else said "LoL , I think he means Hoyle"

I think I busted in 4th on this one :/
Old 11-12-2004, 08:28 PM

I think the biggest problem (besides the fact that the sites don't provide for it) is that when you're down to 5 or 6 guys there is usually one guy who has 30-40% of the chips at the table. No way he's taking 1/6 of the prize money.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:10 PM

I think that I might have been at a table with you last night--- but your screen name wasn't stupid-sucker...

There was a guy at one of my games who kept suggesting to split it. Even to give the big-stack a double portion. Then he busted out 4th or 5th and said "I wish we had split it"...

Anyway-- maybe that was you? I just ignored him/you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2004, 10:15 PM

Viennagreen are you one of these people?

jackthemall
SpekaEngrish
MrSweets28
lulu76
EddieFic
KobeNguyen

If not then it must have been another table, but I am fairly sure that was me. Vrel_sz is my empire handle.

I was in a goofball mood that night. I kept saying "Arrrrrr", and "Im a pirate". Not a normal thing for me.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:52 PM

Default The 3 way chop

In single tables, the 3 way chop is the way to go..everyone is guaranteed better than second place money. No problem in offering this is a.) we are all good players and the money is close, b.) the blinds are sky high, or c.) you need to book a good solid win for whatever the reason may be.
1stuck