Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2004, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Questionable flop decisions

Hi Kuro, thanks for the reply. I'll try to answer or reply to some of your comments if thats ok.

First you said this: You're 3 off the button with J9o. You shouldn't have even entered the pot. There are too many people yet to act for you to make a play at the blinds especially when others know that the bb is afk. J9o is a dog to just about any hand someone would enter a raised pot with.

First I need to say something that I failed to mention in my first post which might help you understand this raise. My table image was pretty tight and I had not shown down a bad hand and I had yet to steal at all. Secondly, I think that if you are waiting to raise in LP with hands much better or even a little better than J9o you are costing yourself some money. Blind stealing is the best way to build a stack at the mid stages of a tourney. This raise here is very standard for me, but I'm absolutely willing to be corrected if I'm way off base here.

Then you said: You raised to 500 which is 2.5xbb. Is that your standard bet or are you showing the weakness of your hand by betting according to hand strength? Standard raise is usually 3 to 4 xbb. The big stack came in for 3.5bb. You have to call.

All of my open raises at this stage in the tourney are to either 2.5x-4x the BB regardless of my holding. While if there are limpers I'll raise anywhere from 4x-6x the BB regardless of my holding if I'm going to raise. Thus, I'm not giving any information about my hand. Anyway, so I raised to 500 and I have to call 300 more into a pot of huge so thats easy. The flop is where it gets tricky, and where I think I made the only mistake in the hand. I like my flop bet, but I hate my flop call... if I am going to give him credit for an overpair here I should just fold and move on, but if I don't, I have to push here, calling doesn't accomplish anything if he has overs. That is the case unless I think he'll call my all-in with two overs in which case it might be correct to see the turn cheap and if an overcard comes I can fold . I'm not certain about that though, and thats actually quite interesting. So if anyone could comment on that I would appreciate it. I was really trying to narrow my opps. hand range down and just couldn't even though he either has it or doesn't, and buckled under the pressure and made a bad play. Thanks again