Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Inner dialouge. HELP ME!!!!!

Hey guys. I'm having some trouble and I think this is the best place to post this, but if I'm wrong please forgive me. I'm having serious troubles walking myself through hands in my head. My inner dialouge needs some serious work. I think this is partly due to the fact that I'm playing too fast. By doing this I often make snap decisions that I wouldn't make if I really thought the hand through. However, that is where the trouble is coming in. I'm not sure if I have NO inner dialouge at all, but it has become very difficult for me, rather it has always been very difficult to ask myself questions and then come up with different answers that might help me make a better decision. I feel strictly inferior to a lot of players because of this, allthough my game is pretty solid I can't avoid making stupid mistakes because I'm not asking myself the right questions, OR any questions at all for that matter. I know that sounds terrible and it feels it to, so I would really appreciate hearing some opinions on this. Surely some of you out there are experiencing this as well, or maybe you did before. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Inner dialouge. HELP ME!!!!!

I have two suggestions.

First, you MUST get used to the idea of calling "TIME" frequently (or taking all the time alloted to you if you are playing online). FORCE yourself to take time to decide, DON'T keep making snap decisions. You may do well to play a program like turbo hold'em and do so with your books open. You have unlimited time there, so practice NOT making snap decisions when you are playing for nothing, then you might do better when playing for money.

Second, stop thinking of your chips as chips. Start thinking of them as TIME. Say I am playing 6-12. I can beat 6-12 for a big bet per hour, perhaps more if the game is really good, but a big bet per hour is a realistic expectation in most limit hold'em games for most good players. Now - say I make a snap decision for a big bet on the river. I foolishly decide to bluff when I miss my straight draw, but a scare card comes on the river. However, I don't stop to think that Cally McCall and Lucy McLoose are my two opponents, and Lucy had bet the turn. Here, I have foolishly wasted $12, because there is no way in hell my bluff has any real chance of success. Now what did I do here? I just wasted $12, but more importantly, I wasted ONE HOUR OF PLAYING TIME. It will take me an average of one hour to make up for that particular mistake. Personally, I don't like these people enough to voluntarily spend an hour with them that I don't have to, just to make up a lousy $12. T'would have been better for me to have thought the process through more carefully and simply saved a bet, or an hour, in the process.

al
Old 11-13-2004, 12:44 PM

Hey Al, thanks for the response. Firstly I'd like to say that thinking of my chips as time rather than actual chips isn't an issue for me. Secondly, I'm primarily a multi-table tourney player, but your advice still applys. While I know what questions I should be asking myself during hands and normally I could come up with the correct answer its when I don't think to "think" before I act. I'm trying to force myself to think in a way that I think would benefit my play. I'm having a terribly difficult time trying to do this.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:13 PM

I completely agree with Al.
Thinking takes PRACTICE, like anything else. You must work through it in a situation where you are NOT under pressure.
After a while, it will become a habit, and also the process will hone itself down to a better speed.
A program, or even a play money game, will help you to develop that winning habit. Without it, your mistakes will take away the profit from your good decisions.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the reply kal. You said a progam might help or a play money game. This is perfect for me as I don't have money right now so I've been playing freerolls non stop to gain as much experience as I possibly can. I personally don't have a problem with this and it has helped quite a bit. What programs would you recomend that might help me in my quest to be a thinker? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've never used any such programs so a list would really help. Thanks dude
Old 11-13-2004, 03:30 PM

The one I hear the most about is the one Al mentioned--Turbo Texas Holdem..but if you're broke it might have to wait--it's about $80.00
There's a list of software on this site that might be helpful.
Mostly, it's a question of time. From my bridge experience, I remember how slow it was initially to do simple things like count suits, points missing, plan the line of play etc.--and during tournaments, when the pressure was on and the opps were breathing down my neck, sometimes my mind would just go blank!
If you can play somehow and take the time you need without feeling rushed...it does get faster, and eventually automatic. That takes time and experience. It's also wearing at first, so keep your practice sessions short, and quit when you notice yourself "going on auto".
Old 11-16-2004, 10:38 AM

I have this problem sometimes and I've felt the same way. Its hard for me to organize my thoughts under time pressure.
You are not inferior. The fact that you are thinking about improving your thinking proves that. Sounds silly but its true. Most of the time my inner dialouge sounds like 5 people trying to talk over each other.
Most of the time I think its triggered by lack of sleep and stress. I'm totally embarrassed to admit this but I meditate before I play cards now [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] lol That has helped a little. I look forward to reading others' posts because I could use improvement here too. In the mean time, be patient with yourself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Good luck
Nicole