Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Best movie you\'ve ever seen.

[ QUOTE ]
Browsing this thread, this is the only list I've seen that is respectable.

"Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Godfather II
Godfather
Cuckoo's Nest"

[/ QUOTE ]

Just went out and spent $24 bucks and bough citizen kane....that movie is way overrated. Yes, it had a good moral lesson, but the movie is very slow going.

I hope casablanca is better. My roommate likes it so it probably will be. Still the only people I would recommend Citizen Kane to is the people who waste their life trying to reach the top. In other words, workaholics, bookworms, and the like. Citizine Kane was pretty low on the entertainment scale.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:33 AM

"Goodfellas" -- the one movie I can think of that's as good, or even better, than the book (which is "Wise Guy" by Nicholas Pileggi).

"Clerks" -- the $23,000 classic.

"American Movie" -- a documentary about a guy in Wisconsin who has always dreamed of making a movie. Has to be seen to be believed. Highly recommended -- it's worth the rental fee just to watch his stoner buddy.

"JFK" -- Sure, it's Oliver Stone's theory of what happened. But it's very well-done, and it's the only movie I've ever seen that made me want to go straight to the library to do research on its topic.

"Spinal Tap" -- "You can't really dust for vomit."

"Airplane" -- Might be the funniest movie of all time. I used to know the jive conversations by heart (and as a big doofy white guy, that always got laughs out of people).
Old 11-13-2004, 06:35 AM

from an entertainment only point of view Kane is a little boring but from a film art/technique perspective it was brilliant...

many movies excel in one area but lack in others, as a film student this is pretty important since most of the movies in my industry really suck from story/drama perspectives but are incredible in other regards...IE Day after Tomorrow...
Old 11-13-2004, 08:39 AM

Yeah, Citizen Kane isn't one of my favorite movies either.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:48 AM

Life is Beautiful
Donnie Darko
Requiem for a Dream
Goodfellas
Reservoir Dogs
Old 11-13-2004, 10:15 AM

Godfather II
Godfather I
Clerks
Pulp Fiction - best high movie ever
Scarface
Seven
Oceans Eleven (for some reason I have to watch it every time it comes on)
Old 11-13-2004, 10:19 AM

Caddyshack
Any Monty Python
Urban Cowboy (If you can't laugh watching this movie, you just can't laugh)
Patton
The Godfather
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Sting
Tombstone
Old 11-13-2004, 11:47 AM

Inherit the Wind
Old 11-13-2004, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
citizen kane....that movie is way overrated. Yes, it had a good moral lesson, but the movie is very slow going.

[/ QUOTE ]

You kinda missed the point of the whole film. Nobody thinks it has the greatest story ever, or the greatest script ever. It was more amazing than Star Wars as far as special effects go, for its time. Deep focus. Long shots. Did you notice the desk that they cut in half and put back together so the camera could slide backward and film an entire scene in one shot? Neither did anyone else. Did you notice that they gave an entire impression of a political rally, and they show ONE guy with ONE megaphone, and a bunch of stock footage. They created a world out of next to nothing. They show you a library, and you believe it's a library. You see a statue, a door, and one book. And yet you feel like you're in a huge library. This is just off the top of my head.

Did you notice the shot when Kane is signing away everything, and walks into the background toward a window. The window looks normal sized. Then he keeps walking, and walking, and you see that the window is huge and like 7' off the ground. It not only makes him look tiny, you realize that it's huge.

Look for all those little things. That's what makes it a great movie. As far as entertainment, well, yeah you're right. If you don't appreciate that sort of thing, then you'll never have a good time watching Citizen Kane.

It's the kind of movie that people who really know film love, and others either don't understand and dislike it, or don't understand and feign enthusiam for because everyone else says it's great. At least you're honest by saying that you don't like it.

If you got the special edition listen to the Ebert commentary, since he'll point out the neat little things that everyone was amazed by for you. You may as well - I'd hate for you to have completely wasted 2 hours of your life. Invest a couple more and perhaps you'll appreciate the film a bit more than you do now, if only because you understand how groundbreaking what Wells did was.

If you want a better Wells movie, watch The Third Man. It's got a better story, and they use some of the same tactics as are used in Citizen Kane.

~D
Old 11-13-2004, 12:18 PM

Hey, I also said Citizen Kane wasn't one of my favorites either, aren't you going to compliment me for my lack of pretensions?