Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 10:46 PM

Default Bet out on the river or go for a checkraise?

It's my second hand at the table, and I don't have any notes on the three opponents.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: PantherZ is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, PantherZ completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">PantherZ bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls, Button folds.

Turn: (3 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">PantherZ bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">PantherZ 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, PantherZ calls.

River: (11 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">PantherZ ???</font>

Looks like he's got 2-pair, with a smaller chance of a set with 88, 77 or 55. I would hate to check and have him check behind, which he might do if he has Ax or 87 for a small two pair. If I bet out, he will certainly call and he might raise, giving me a chance to make it 3 bets.

What do you think. Bet out or go for a checkraise?
Old 11-12-2004, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Bet out on the river or go for a checkraise?

Without a read, I'll have to assume he's the typical Party player that instantly shrinks back when faced with a C/R. So, I bet out here looking to collect 3BB on the river, rather then run the risk of it getting checked through(highly doubtful though considering his level of aggression on the turn).
Old 11-12-2004, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Bet out on the river or go for a checkraise?

Bet and hope he raises, the problem with the checkraise here as that you either get 0BB or 2BB while with betting out you get 1 or 3.

I like to use the checkraise against people who value bet with TPTK type hands, you know they are going to bet so you checkraise. (If you bet out they just call because their hand isnt strong enough to raise).