Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Coldcalling Q

lose passive 10-20 game last night-
Utg is a 50 yr old woman who looks 45 and claims to be 33.
Her raising standars include, AA-JJ, Ak off and suited, and AQs.
she raises. UTG +1 folds and the action is on me with JJ.
I look left and i see a certain number of my opponents telegraphing a call.
How many of them do i need to make this call? (including the blinds)
Old 11-12-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Coldcalling Q

One.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:04 PM

same as alway, its good for you if this pot is at least 5-handed. does she spew chips after the flop with just an overpair? or does she get passive (as most like her do) when she gets some heat?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:45 PM

"Utg is a 50 yr old woman who looks 45 and claims to be 33. . . I look left and i see a certain number of my opponents telegraphing a call."

You're an observant fellow. You can play more hands than the book says to, even though your list of her raising standards doesn't seem loose-passive to me. If it were I, I'd 3-bet. You'd probably lose the others, and her 4-bet or lack thereof would give you a more educated guess of whether she's got a big pair or just A-K/A-Q.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:53 PM

The game itself was loose passive- she was by far the tightest of my opponents.

"If it were I, I'd 3-bet. You'd probably lose the others, and her 4-bet or lack thereof would give you a more educated guess of whether she's got a big pair or just A-K/A-Q."

Sadly she won't 4 bet QQ or KK and about half the time AA. She is passive for the most part and will likely become a calling station.
I don't see three betting here as a good option- at best i am a small favorite and likely a big dog. I am more looking for a multiway to hit my set or if i have an overpair call the flop/fold the turn if she bets it, or bet if she checks to me on the turn. it would be standard of her to bet out on a missed flop with AK and then check the turn.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:01 PM

I'd still rather have the passive calling station all to myself, as opposed to having 3-4 players behind me still to act after she bets the flop.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:04 PM

if you expect her to bet the flop and are calling her p-f raise, far better would be to raise the flop if you end up with an overpair.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:22 PM

How does UTG play after the flop? Would folding be a consideration here? If she is not the type to pay off nicely when you hit your set, I would probably fold. Wait to take the money from the other players. Otherwise, I would call hoping for others to call as well, and hope to hit a set.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:16 PM

She's not typically going to pay me off to much when i hit my set, she's a one and done better when she gets raised (unless she has >2pair). So i could call the flop and riase the turn and she would call me down for a +3.5 bb post flop profit in all likely hood when i hit my set.

I actually don't think i want to be heads up, and i was planning on folding if i hadn't seen any callers behind me.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:18 PM

I don't know if i agree andy-
given the choice between being heads up as either a slight favorite or a big dog-
or being in a field of 5-6 players for 2 bets preflop with a good read on UTG's hand
or folding. I like
5-6 players first
folding second
heads up third
As far as EV is concerned-