Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 10:56 AM

Default Could I have played this better?

Pokkerroom $5+1 multi table, still early in the tourney. So far I've built my stack to t2800 without showing down a single hand. The table overall is a bit tight, but not overly so. This hand was key for me, and I'm just not sure I played it correctly. Did I miss opportunities here?

10-handed. Blinds 50/100. Hero in the BB with t2800. Villain is MP3 with t4000.

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls 100, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Villain calls 100, fold to SB, SB completes, Hero checks.

I decided to limp here so I could get away easily if the flop didn't suit. Should I have bet?

Flop: (Pot=t400) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets 300, UTG+1 folds, Villain calls, SB folds.

Flop wasn't perfect, but I figured I'd see if anyone had hit it. I now place the Villain on a K, weak A, or Flush draw.

Turn: (Pot=t1000) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets 500, Villain raises 1000, Hero spends a month thinking about it and folds.

Looks like a flush, smells like a flush, is it a flush?

I'm thinking if I bet Preflop, would that have changed things? Was the bet on the turn a good idea or asking for trouble? Should I assume the flush or call with Top pair Good kicker? At that point I figured I might be ahead, but I wasn't drawing to anything that beat what I thought he had.

Additional info in white:
<font color="white"> About 3 hands later after showing down AK off, he stated that he'd had that hand 4 of the last 6 hands. So I think he had two pair AAKK, but he could be full of it. </font>
Old 11-11-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Could I have played this better?

I'm probably check-folding the turn. Preflop, yeah.. you could have raised it up, but I don't think it's always necessary. Might have saved yourself some chips though. If he did have AK, he might have pushed after you raised, and then you can safely fold your measly AJs.

I think your fold was good. The min-raise by him is a strong indicator that your top pair is probably not any good.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:56 PM

I normally would have check-folded the turn, but I had been playing very aggressively at this table and it was working. Since I'm normally not quite that aggressive, I had no idea when to back off.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:47 PM

Playing aggressively is fine as long as you have an edge. But once you put your opponent on the flush, then the check-fold was in order.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:09 AM

i agree the check-fold was in order... i think that his raise was almost trying to induce you to push against his Qx [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
just a thought...
Old 11-12-2004, 07:55 AM

Maybe I'm wrong, but check-folding seems weak here. Sure, here, it looks like two pair or a made flush and folding is the correct play.

But normally, checking the turn is going to cause the opponent to bet with just about any two cards because he knows hero is weak and is likely to fold. I think check-folding here is going to make you fold so many winning hands. Villain is going to bet back at hero after he checks with any ace, any king or maybe as little as any club just because hero showed weakness. Sure, you lose a little more chips when he did hit, but I think the times you are ahead are worth it.

I'd bet to get information or induce a fold as our hero did. I just think checking is asking me to be bluffed out of a pot.

I'm by no means a very good tournament player, so if someone here is, tell me why check-folding is better.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:43 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Check-Folding

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm wrong, but check-folding seems weak here. Sure, here, it looks like two pair or a made flush and folding is the correct play.

But normally, checking the turn is going to cause the opponent to bet with just about any two cards because he knows hero is weak and is likely to fold. I think check-folding here is going to make you fold so many winning hands. Villain is going to bet back at hero after he checks with any ace, any king or maybe as little as any club just because hero showed weakness. Sure, you lose a little more chips when he did hit, but I think the times you are ahead are worth it.

I'd bet to get information or induce a fold as our hero did. I just think checking is asking me to be bluffed out of a pot.

I'm by no means a very good tournament player, so if someone here is, tell me why check-folding is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. But the hero didn't check, he bet out and was re-raised. He made the correct decision to get out of the hand, and the correct play at testing his opponents hand with the initial bet.