Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 02:24 AM

Default Re: when everyone\'s on crack how do you play?

Tighten way up pre-flop. Get your chips in the pot when your hand hits. I agree that playing the small suited connectors in this game is highly unprofitable.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:46 AM

Thanks for all the responses. To clarify my this game, it seems there is 1-2 overly aggressive players raising just about everything, and a bunch of passive callers. The aggressive players usually dump the flop when they miss. Then the passive players are usually checking and calling with just about anything because of the size of the pot, and only betting/raising strong hands, or if they are last to act and no one has raised. Once the aggressors drop out, the pot will usually be bet, but almost never raised.

In regards to small and medium pocket pairs. How should I approach these with position? Should I completely muck them early, or should I limp expecting the pot to come back 3-bet or capped? Maybe just play in late position and when I do so do I cold call 2-3 or do I cap it?

What about suited connectors and one gappers like jTs, qjs, qts, kts,as well as aces like A8-10s? do they have a home in this sorta game?
Old 11-12-2004, 02:54 AM

I'm a consistent winner in 40/80-100/200 live, and multitabling 3-4 15/30 tables on party, and I thrive in games like the one described by gamblore99.

I play middle suited connectors because:

A) You get a monster payoff in the 1 out of 10 hands you hit. I know I said 8 before, but that was a little ambitious.

B) Easy to get away from if you don't flop a straight or straight draw, flush or flush draw, two pair, or trips. You do however, have to be very picky in proceeding when you flop something like 227 with 78s.

C) Every so often the perfect opportunity for a bluff comes on the river. It usually comes in the form of a checkraise when a scare card falls, but it can be pulled off against the right opponent, even if the pot's large.

D) Great advertising every time you turn it over.

Keep in mind, you need to play them very well after the flop or you're wasting your money, but middle suited connectors can definitely be profitable in a crazy game, particularly when you factor in their value in building a loose table image.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about and have just been lucky over the last several years. I can however, say for a fact that medium suited connectors in LAGGY games have served me very well. Fire away, I can take it.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:09 AM

Read the section on wild games in HPFAP.