Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Deseparate in the small blind. should I call

16 left out of 220 in a MTT. We are in the money, but its not big yet.

I just lost a set over set from my BB. I am down to 1,400 with blinds at 800/1600.

I post my SB and am left with 1100. I have 52s.

1 guy raises all in, another re-raises all in.

If I fold, I might not get this much action to quadrouple up. I know I'm a big dog, but is this a call anyways?
Old 11-11-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Deseparate in the small blind. should I call

this is an easy call if you ask me. while you are obviously losing right now, your outs are totally live and you already have half your stack in the pot and can quad up, while if you fold you can only call all in which doesn't accomplish much.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:55 PM

Is the next step up in money worth anything to you? Are their others who are very likely to be blinded out before you get there? I think you have to answer Yes to both questions to even consider folding.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:01 PM

Wow... you only have 400 left after posting... I mis-read the post, sorry. You absolutely have to call this unless the step up in money is so important to you that you would throw up if you didn't get it. The remaining players would have to go out in 10 hands a HUGE percentage of the time to make this fold corrrect IMO. If it were me, if I KNEW that I would make the next money brackett if I folded this hand I would still call here.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:07 PM

You are down to 1400 with 800-1600 blinds, but after you post the small blind you have 1100? What???

If you have 600 after posting the blind, the sad truth is that you must go all in blind in any circumstance.

If you have 1100 after posting the blind and there are no antes, you may as well wait for another spot (not to mention for others to go out and give you money). I realize you have 800/1900 in preflop which is >1/3 your stack, but you are so badly behind here that you may as well wait a round for better cards.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:28 PM

There was a typo. I had 1,900 before posting, and 1,100 after posting.

Sorry for the confusion.

Also - the next step up in the money is still I think 4 places away, so I would have to have 4 people bust out in the next orbit before I got more money, and I'm shooting for the final table, not just another few bucks.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:53 PM

I call. You risk 1100 to win 1900+1900+1600+800=6,200. so you’re getting 4.6 to 1 on your money, and only need to win ~15% of the time. If you’re up against 2 overpairs or overpair/overcard, then in both scenarios you are ~17%. Add in some times when you’re up against two overcard hands (AK/AQetc), and you’re EV+.

But, is folding and pushing the very next hand even more EV positive? Maybe, since you would be getting 3:1 on your money but probably not be a 3:1 dog. But even if you win that you’d still need to do that again to get the same chips as this gets you. So since you’re so very low here and must double several times to get to a reasonable 5xbb level, I’d gamble with 52,

But I think its somewhat close

--Greg
Old 11-12-2004, 12:22 AM

Default RESULTS

I called. I figured if this was live I'm probably going to call it blind with any 2, so why not online too.

I hit the flush - and got myself a small stack. I double up again a few hands later, and rode it all the way to 5th place. Not bad for being down to 1 BB.