Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Home Poker League

[ QUOTE ]
although we're looking for more players I don't think we're going to get many via the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful on that... if you have a good website than players in your tourneys that you don't know all that well will refer people they know to the site, and then they'll want to play as well. It's amazing how it works. My home tourney used to have 14 players before we started "the tour" and now sells out at 56 players! All based on word of mouth and referencing the website. Thanks for the nice words about the website, I shot your response over to my buddy who helped me put it together as he's the design guy, I'm the stats/ideas guy. I'd be glad to discuss format/stats with you anytime, just shoot me a message from the website info page.

-Rob
Old 11-10-2004, 03:02 PM

Oh and about the name, "The League of Ordinary Gentlemen" is really funny, but lacks a poker association. "Drawing Dead" has the association but is not as funny as the first one. And "North Jersey Poker League" is just a cool sounding name. So..... it depends on what you're looking for. Straight humor, humor and poker, or just cool. I know that doesn't help one bit, but oh well! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2004, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My home tourney used to have 14 players before we started "the tour" and now sells out at 56 players!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! How do you even fit all those people? My wife didn't like 12 people playing in our kitchen, so I took my winnings for the year (I saved all of it) and bought supplies at home depot to put walls up in my basement. Since I'm not handy with tools 2 of my friends did most of the work. At most we can accommodate maybe 20 people.

I think we're just going to stick with North Jersey Poker League. Ehehehe I forgot to mention the funniest name: The Tim Experience Featuring Andy (Yes that was an actual suggestion and was up on the site for a few days). You really have to see this guy Tim in action. It's so sad it's almost funny. We felt bad and decided against it. He's the worst player ever!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:47 PM

I am more than willing to help anyone with any SQL or ASP questions (I do it for a living).

I wish I had more time because I would love to do something like this. At one point I was contemplating doing an ASP.NET open source project so that anyone could contribute or use it but w/ two small kids and a serious poker addiction I just cannot do it right now - maybe in the near future.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:11 PM

Oh please do! Find the time! I probably spent more time searching for an easy way to build my site using existing code than I did learning and coding the site. I only resorted to teaching myself what I know because I couldn't find anything good. No doubt someone with good development/db experience would do a much better job than I.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:50 PM

If I start a league of some kind the name will be the Portland Poker Pontiffs.

Or possibly the Portland Poker Pugilists.

So you folks living in Peoria, Petaluma, or Pawtucket, hands off the name. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2004, 03:28 PM

Can anyone help me as far as setting up a website (hopefully free) we are looking for a way like this to track out tournaments.
thanks

kkyhnell@msn.com
Old 11-11-2004, 05:45 PM

Try www.bravenet.com. That's where my poker website is hosted and I've had no problems with it. They have numerous free options including free hosting. I converted mine to a pay site when it became feasable and the traffic demanded it. Check out my site at www.nwpokertour.com

-Mack