Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 05:22 PM

Default ratings please

i am thinking about getting sklansky's tournament poker for advanced players. if you have read it, please tell me what you think and if it has improved your tournament play. thanks.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Re: ratings please

I read it before I ever played a tournament, and it gave me an excellent grounding. If you already are knowledgeable about tournament play, you will be familiar with some of the concepts in the book, but you'd probably still benefit from reading it.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:50 PM

REALLY REALLY DISSAPOINTING...SO IS SUZUKI'S BOOK..IM STILL WAITING ON McEvoy and Cloutier's from Amazon
Old 11-10-2004, 09:53 PM

I consider TPFAP a must read.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:23 AM

First book i ever bought. well worth it.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:50 AM

If you are serious about tournament poker you should read this book. His concepts on "gap theory" are well worth the read. You should read it once and then re-read it again, this time paying more attention to the detail. I would'nt pay much attention to his automated system from playing tournament poker though, even he admits that it needs lots of work.

McEvoy and Cloutier's book it ok as well - I would recommend reading this. I don't think it is as rigorous as TPFAP's though, or maybe it's that I don't agree with some of T.J's strategy.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:18 AM

Tournament Poker for Advanced Players - which is why some people just don't find value in it. If you're looking for a book that will walk you systematically through each phase of a tournament, this is NOT it. But apparently Dan Harrington's new book due out next month will cover much of this.

TPFAP teaches some very important and fundamental principles that apply to tournament play. These principles are vital to successful tournament play. But I would make sure you have a few tournaments under your belt before trying to understand and implement the principles.

So in a nutshell, it's an excellent book once you have a little experience behind you.

Also, you might want to search through the Book forum as they cover this stuff much more than here.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:27 AM

I think it's my lease favorite 2+2 book, but still a must buy. Not nearly as comprehensive as the others. It won't make you a very good tournament player if you understand it cover to cover, like the other titles can. It feels too essayish for me.