Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 11:57 PM

Default Paired Aces with low kicker

This had was bugging me for a long time tonight. I'm not entirely convinced I should have folded, but I felt I was beat. I had no read at this point, so I wasn't sure if BB was just an agressive player. Do I call to the river with this type of hand considering I have a gutshot straight draw? Raise after the flop?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 (poster) checks, Hero calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.75 BB
Old 11-11-2004, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Paired Aces with low kicker

I think the flop is a raise or fold situation. I would not fault you for folding it since the pot is relatively small. Depending on the my table read I might raise. I think calling is the worst thing you could do.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:01 AM

Raise the flop and see what happens. If you get 3-bet, call and fold the turn unimproved. If you do not get 3-bet, continue as if you have the best hand.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:50 AM

I find myself in this situation alot also.

I raise on the flop for 2 reasons:
1. determine if you are behind to top pair and a better kicker, on a reraise i would usually fold this hand

2. to get a free card on the turn
Old 11-11-2004, 02:57 AM

I really don't mind this flop call. You might have the best hand, and if you don't then you have 6 to a split and 6 to a win. The turn fold sucks, you really need to call down here.

The Shill
Old 11-11-2004, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't mind this flop call. You might have the best hand, and if you don't then you have 6 to a split and 6 to a win. The turn fold sucks, you really need to call down here.

The Shill

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling this down is horribly weak (WLLHE style play, or maybe even weaker!). Raise the flop and go from there. If called, keep betting. If 3-bet, call and then check/fold the turn unimproved. Remember that a second ace may or may not be true improvement. If he folds to you raise, well, duh.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:17 AM

Remember that the hero is raising a better and a caller. Folding the turn unimproved after the villian 3-bets is not good advice as the hero may have as many as 13 outs to a chop or better. The hero has outs if behind, the play is to call, why charge yourself more if you are behind?

The Shill