Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 09:28 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Greg Raymer-You Sir, Are.....

A gentleman and a scholar! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm sure this has probably been brought up previously, but I'm new here so what the hay?

Just wanted to comment that (at least as television showed you) your attitude in the WSOP were excellent and great for poker. That Mattasou guy is an ass and needs to get off the coke.

I try to model myself after Daniel Negranue (i.e. be friendly, no need to wear shades, keep people talking, smile, make them think you're their friend when you just want their chips, etc.)

Unfortunately with my slight lack of emotional control I can sometimes turn into Hellmuth. *smirk* I've been working on that, not allowing the up or downswings of a tournament to affect me too much.

Anyway, don't expect to be playing your stakes anytime soon, but from time to time I hit Foxwoods (live up in Mass, about an hour and a half away and 100 miles from the Woods) so maybe I'll catch you there sometime.

My buddy Cory B (aka "The Man In Black" as he likes to call himself) tries to model himself after Hoyt Corkins and said he snagged one of your autographed fossils recently. Glad to see you still frequent these boards Greg. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2004, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Greg Raymer-You Sir, Are.....

He's already married.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:09 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
He's already married.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just gonna ask to borrow 20 dollars! *smirk*
Old 11-10-2004, 12:06 PM

From everything I've seen/read/heard from outside the ESPN coverage of the WSOP main event, Raymer is very much the gentleman, and surprisingly humble for a world champ. He is very good for poker.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From everything I've seen/read/heard from outside the ESPN coverage of the WSOP main event, Raymer is very much the gentleman, and surprisingly humble for a world champ. He is very good for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you also need the Men The Masters and Hellmuths to keep it interesting and entertaining. If EVERYONE was nice and gentlemanly, well, poker wouldn't be very much fun to watch.

Seeing people go on tilt and act out, watching crazies like Phil Laak in this unabomber getup jumping around, that's what makes poker so watchable.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:27 PM

I don't disagree. Some of the most memorable players in the 2004 WSOP were Mike Matusow, Ellix Powers and James Sousa. But if somebody is going to come out of nowhere and win the main event, I'd much rather it be somebody cool like Greg Raymer than some tool like Josh Arieh.

These so called "exciting" players are great, so long as they are the exception, rather than the rule. Otherwise, it ends up looking like pro wrestling. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:31 PM

Hahahahahah!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree. Some of the most memorable players in the 2004 WSOP were Mike Matusow, Ellix Powers and James Sousa. But if somebody is going to come out of nowhere and win the main event, I'd much rather it be somebody cool like Greg Raymer than some tool like Josh Arieh.

These so called "exciting" players are great, so long as they are the exception, rather than the rule. Otherwise, it ends up looking like pro wrestling. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually been waiting for poker players to get "entrance music" like the WWE and come in and smack talk each other in pre-interviews.

But yeah, I'd rather a nice deserving guy like Raymer win it, than someone I can't stand (like Josh Arieh, or Amir Vahedi, etc.)

I still like Farha though, he's so slimey and slick, I just like his character.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I still like Farha though, he's so slimey and slick, I just like his character.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. It's a very good gimmick. They should run more angles with him.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

WWE Raw Deal CCG Co-Designer
www.comicimages.com/rawdeal
Old 11-11-2004, 01:58 AM

If we are running angles, I think we should turn Raymer heel. I honeslty think we need another sleezy champion now that we have exploded with two "good guys" at the forefront of our sport. Phil Hellmuth would find a way to get second place in a game of solitare these days, so our major bad guy has devolved into a nothing. We need one of the respectable faces of the game to start getting some negative airtime and become a guy people love to hate. And not like 2002, where we all hated the champion because he would struggle in our home games, we need a player with undenyable ability that chooses to be a bad person, so the fans that are pulling for someone to knock the hated champ out feel a sense of accomplishment when/if they get what they want.

And while I'm not serious, it is something to think about. I do believe it could only help poker to see a true bad guy win it all in '05.