Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 08:59 PM

Default Re: 08 all same suit hand

[ QUOTE ]

We're looking for simple answers but sometimes the answers are not simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love the analysis, Buzz. Anything that makes me think a bit has to be good for my game.

One advantage that I haven't seen mentioned is that if you hold A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] x[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] y[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] z[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], then you also stand better chance of someone making the underflush and paying you off. If you live in Looseville, that's not inconsiderable.

As a longtime resident of Looseville (and sometimes visitor to Loseville), I also fall into the (likely wrong) corollary belief that if I have four suited cards to something below the ace, then my non-nut flush won't be out-kicked. That is, holding Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], if the board comes:
T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I can be "sure" that I'm safer than if I held, say, Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I believe that I'm safer (because there are two fewer clubs to be with the ace or king, should they be out), but I doubt that I'm nearly as safe as I like to think. Trap hand!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:09 AM

Thanks to everyone who answered, more than I bargained for. I was basically trying to think of a hand that I might fold if it was one suit, and might play otherwise. I've read that A3xx is generally playable (in loose game) if the Ace is suited, but otherwise not. Thus, I was curious if I "lose" that flush draw (which Buzz showed was not exactly true) if it became a general folding hand.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:58 PM

A hand like that is situational. If you're in LP and can get in for one bet after multiple limpers I'd go for it.

If you were in EP I'd muck it and wait for a better hand.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about something more marginal like A Q J 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think A3JQ is a better hand than ATJQ. I think this is true whether the hands are not suited, suited, or suited with extra hearts. But none of them are that good.

[/ QUOTE ]

The advantage to ATJQ is that if you win by making the best possible straight, you are unlikely to have to split the pot. With AQJ3 you run the risk of making a low and losing with it as well as making a low and quartering. If you play ATJQ and the board is low, it's an easy release, and there's some advantage for many players in not being stuck with a hand when you're unsure about what to dow tih it after the flop.
_______
Lou Krieger
Old 11-12-2004, 04:39 AM

Buzz:
Thank you for taking the time and effort to give such a long reply to help out fellow players. Many of us read posts such as this to learn without ever letting the posters know we appreciate their efforts.
Thanks again, pokerswami