Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 05:16 PM

Default 5-10 NL PS Hand

Hey guys, I don't post much here, but today I decided to stroll into the 5-10 NL game on Stars for fun, haven't played in it for a long time, but I came across this hand and wasn't positive what to do. I just came off losing a $500 pot with QQ UTG, and am the BB now.

Seat 1: MP($1292 in chips)
Seat 2: MP2 ($995 in chips)
Seat 3: CO ($518.75 in chips)
Seat 5: BUTTON ($1998 in chips)
Seat 6: SB ($920 in chips)
Seat 7: Hero in BB ($847.35 in chips)
Seat 8: UTG ($1000 in chips)
Seat 9: UTG+1 ($1067 in chips)

Hero is Dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

All fold to the SB who limps, and I check.
FLOP:
3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Pot is at $19 ($1 rake) SB bets out $20, I raise to $60, SB thinks for a couple seconds and pushes the rest of his stack in. What do you do...

My read on SB is nothing at all, I have very rarely played with him in the past, and I have only been sitting for 3 orbits, and he came in 2 orbits ago and we only played one hand together, which was another Blind battle which we checked down, and he hasn't played any other hands. Just FYI I am Premier on PS, and this hand was against tickerxyz.
Thanks for your replies, result to follow.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NL PS Hand

I dont like bottom 2, especially since bottom 2 are the flush cards. I fold it.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 PM

it's pretty consistent with a draw but even something like JhTh has you in bad shape. even though this is pretty hard to get away from blind vs. blind, I really like a fold here.

--turnipmonster
Old 11-10-2004, 01:23 AM

9-3 off suit is refered to as The Sik and is always played from all positions by great players. It never loses...OK OK, so it does lose but people never fold it on PokerRoom
BTW I know most of you guys do not play PokerRoom but if ya did happen to win a hand and show it down with The Sik this weekend you can send the hand history to an e-mail address they have set up and they send you a free 50$...You never see promotions like that at stars or UB now do you!!! Its only 50$ but still...kinda cool...
Old 11-10-2004, 02:03 AM

You are Premier?

FWIW I think this is an easy fold, as you are likely way behind or slightly ahead.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, the more I think about it, I probably should have folded, but I just couldn't let go of it, I called fairly quickly and my opponent had T7 of hearts, and the T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the turn sealed my fate.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:59 PM

your equity goes way up on a blank turn. unfortunately he didn't give you the option of waiting.

--turnipmonster
Old 11-10-2004, 01:22 PM

Without a very strong read I would think it would be an easy fold, holding bottom 2 pair which happen to be suited on the board puts you at a slight coinflip advantage if he is holding four to the flush, and puts you at a dog if he paired the third card to boot, not to mention the HUGE disadvantage you are at if he made a set.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:38 PM

Default Smooth call the flop?

Am wondering if calling the flop might be best followed by a raise on the turn if no scare card appears and the sb bets. The drawback, of course, being that a card may come that reduces the sb's willingness to bet.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Smooth call the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
Am wondering if calling the flop might be best followed by a raise on the turn if no scare card appears and the sb bets. The drawback, of course, being that a card may come that reduces the sb's willingness to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with this is just about every card can be considered a scare card, every heart is, any 6, 7, 8, J, Q, K can fill an OESD, any A could mean two pairs as well as any 2, 4, 5 could mean a second pair for his T. The more I think about this, the more I think you need to raise him $40-60 and fold to a large 3-bet on the flop.