Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Moving up in limit questions

Playing 1/2 is an important learning step because you'll see a lot more pots being contested by fewer players. Learning to play headsup or against 2 opponents in a hand is an important skill to develop.

In my experience, 1/2 plays pretty passively but there's still a few live ones. You have to play better to maintain a good win rate because there's not as many awful players paying you off like there is at 0.5/1.

You'll need these skills when you get to 2/4 because those games are more aggressive and there are quite a few good players. Player notes and stats become increasingly important. You'll sometimes be in hands with only 1 or 2 good players and you need the skills to outplay them. Other times you'll be against maniacs who will be raising you on the turn with bottom pair. And you can win or lose 50+ BB's in short order.

Take the time to round out your game and don't think 2/4 and up is the walk in the park that some make it out to be. If you're not prepared, you could be in for a tough time.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:17 PM

Also, it's a good idea to make a stop in 1/2 6-max. It gives you some great short-handed experience, and you get to play a lot more aggressive.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Don\'t move yet.

I believe the advice to move up is a little "loose".

I go along w/ davelin. The cards will turn. When they do you would rather loose 150 BB (for example) at .5/1 than $1/2.

Real life experience, I went trhough a 26,000 hand online break even period. So from my perspective 3k hands
is nothing.

If you are continuing to beat the current level after 10K hands and have 300BB, then move up.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it's a good idea to make a stop in 1/2 6-max. It gives you some great short-handed experience, and you get to play a lot more aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was wondering about that. How about skipping 1/2 full ring completely and just play the 6-max? It is what I'm doing now and I don't really feel like playing 1/2 full ring, primarily because there are less tables to choose from and I get to play more hands per hour. And it is fun. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]