Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 07:57 AM

Default Thoughts on interpreting the third bet

A couple of the recent posts have me thinking about the meaning of the third bet being put in on the flop by an opponent who is out of position with plently of $$$ behind. Assuming a thinking opponent what types of hands would he be making these plays with and what types of hands might I be able to get away from.

Examples:

1. Bruiser's Hand:

Hero ($1480.75)
SB ($1114.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q, Q. CO posts a blind of $15.
UTG folds, Hero raises to $50, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB raises to $120, BB folds, Hero calls $70.

Flop: ($265) A, Q, 3 (2 players)
SB bets $20, Hero raises to $200, SB raises to $380....

2. kirisim's hand

I have $1000 to start this hand and he has over $3000.

He limps in MP, I limp with J9o, three more limpers. Five way action. The flop is Jc9c2, giving me top two pair on a draw-intensive board. The 2+2er on my right bets $20 into the $25 pot. I raise to $60. Everyone folds.

I look over at him. He smiles and pick up a big stack of black $100 chips, and fakes moving them forward. He puts them back and smiles. He reaches for some green chips. Finally he puts out $260, a raise of $200.

3. limon's hand(from memory, not sure of the details)

some PF action. flop A 9 x. limon bets his 99, A9 raises, limons re-raises all-in.

here his opponent called, but limon made the case that after the third bet his opponent should have been able to get away from his hand.

The reason I posted this is I am pretty sure that I go broke in all three of these situations, but in each a clear cut case can be made for getting away from these hands. In each case the third bet by a player makes it very unlikely that they are drawing since they are out-of-position and there is still plenty of $$$ left behind.

So what do you think? How do you usually interpret the third bet or re-raise from a thinking player out-of-position?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on interpreting the third bet

random thoughts/musings:

the reraise on the flop is often a crucial moment because it is a stack committing decision. the money has to be very deep for an opponent to call a pot reraise and not either be pot stuck or almost pot stuck.

to me, whether or not you can get away from these hands has a lot to do with the players absolute position to the button. if your opponent limped in UTG and then called a raise and now bet reraises a A T 2 flop, I think chances are very good he has 22 and sometimes AT can get away from it. if it's button vs. blinds, I think I go broke more often.

good post nero. always enjoy your posts.

--turnipmonster
Old 11-09-2004, 01:34 PM

my thoughts: third bet all-in with a decent stack means big draw or two pair or better. rarely an overpair or tptk. third bet with deep stacks into deep stacks usually means a huge made hand. which is why in raleigh it is rare to see the third bet go in unless the board is heavily draw laden. everyone traps instead. most big laydowns are made to that third bet, and most are correct.

matt
Old 11-11-2004, 10:52 AM

Same as m.f.; actually I just wanted to say I like your pic. good choice.
Ez