Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 04:26 AM

Default Oaks Cardroom, Oakland, CA

This was my first time playing at BM (Sat afternoon). Oaks has 1/2 2/4 3/6 and up hold'em. I played at the 1/2 -- 10 player tables, 8-9 seeing the flop each time. Other tables also looked wild. Only stayed an hour (hadn't been planning to play when I first walked in). Had to pay a $2.50 time charge when I sat down, and again about 30 mins later.

cheers,
Old 11-08-2004, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Oaks Cardroom, Oakland, CA

i really like the place. it reminds me of a big log cabin in the mountains or something. plus their 2/4 game is much more rational than usual since the maniacs play 1/2.

rj
Old 11-08-2004, 08:56 AM

$5/hour for 1/2 seems pretty steep.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:31 PM

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Oaks. It's where I had my first big winning session as a new player. My wife and I were on our way home from China, and I was jetlagged. I won $110 dollars in 2 1/2 hours at the $1-2. 8-9 players to a flop, getting great odds to drawing hands. It spoiled me big-time and taught me many bad lessons I had to unlearn, like playing Q5s. in EP, or anywhere. Still, when my wife came back from getting a manicure and saw my stack, I knew we were both hooked, me on the game and her on getting me to pay for her manicures.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:22 AM

Yep, that bothered me -- I need to get that straight next time -- if it's $2.50 per hour or half, in addition to when you first sit down. I was somewhat overwhelmed being in there for my first time....
Old 11-09-2004, 03:25 AM

Thanks -- I'll just signup for the 2/4 next time. Do you (or anybody else) happen to know about how the time charges work there?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:54 AM

The time charges go by the digital clock above the poker room. The red light comes on when its :00 and :30, signaling that you have to pay for time. If you sit down while the red light is on (i think it stays on for 8 minutes), you have to pay the time charge. If you are able to find a seat while the light isn't on (from :09-:29 and :39-:59) then you don't have to pay. The time charge for 2/4 is 3 dollars every 30 min. I believe its 4 dollars for 3/6
Old 11-11-2004, 03:46 AM

Thanks kingele -- so it costs $5/hr for 1/2 or $6 for 2/4. Yikes, seems high. I hope the fishies make up for it!!
Old 11-11-2004, 01:16 PM

I agree, the 2/4 game is a pretty nice game. Usually there is at least one loose aggressive at your table and occassionally you get a complete maniniac. Look out for the UC Berkeley frat boys, they are usually new plaeyrs that just dump.

I'm not sure if its normal to pay time, but it definitely helps loose players because they try to win as many pots as possible. On top of the time they do a $1 jackpot drop every hand, so that hurts even more.

Oaks has a special place in my heart. So dirty, grimy and full of scumbags but so much fun.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so it costs $5/hr for 1/2 or $6 for 2/4. Yikes, seems high. I hope the fishies make up for it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's steep, especially with the $1 drop as another poster pointed out. When I go to the Oaks it's more for fun than to win big, since you need to win around 3BB/hr to break even. I hear the bigger games there are relatively soft if you're looking to actually show a profit.

I always have a good time there, the last time I was there I was playing 2/4 and won 3 big pots the first orbit I was there. I think I had AA, 99, and AKs. One guy told me I should move up to $15/$30 right away because I was on a hot streak, and you have to pounce on them because you never know how long they'll last. Well it's good that I didn't move up because I only won 1 more hand in about 5 hours and was stuck quite a bit.

If any 2+2ers want to meet up there and play 1/2 for some fun I'm in.