Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 05:41 PM

Default A couple of tricky hands

These two hands was in a 30 dollar MTT on party, around 1300 people started and there were 200 left. Top 130 got paid. I had a larger sized stack of 9000. Avg. was 6600

Hand 1: Blinds 200/400
Villain raises to 1400 UTG with ???
Hero calls in MP with As Kh

Flop: 6d 7d 9h
Villain bets 1900
Hero Folds

Is there nothing i can do there? Should i have pushed before the flop? I knew that I could wait for a hand and didn't have to commit myself to what might be a coinflip. I tend not to push preflop with AK. If i was first to act, should i have bet it?

Hand 2: Blinds 300/600 (I had about 7000 in chips at this point, which was avg.)

Hero raises to 1500 in UTG+1 with Jc Js
Villain calls in BB

Flop: 6d 8h Ks
Villain Checks
Hero bets 2000
Villain Raises all in (8400)
Hero folds

I felt like I had to bet that flop so that he wouldn't just push me off my hand with a big bet on the turn, and I also felt like I had to make a relatively big bet or else he would sense my weakness. I think now that I maybe should have checked the flop and then folded to a bet on the turn, just to protect my chips, but is that the right play? I seem to lose all my chips every time in the MTTs with hands like these, where i probably have the best hand but am not sure, and then end up getting pushed around.

I had told myself that i was going to maintain my stack and cruise into the money unless i picked up a monster, but I still managed to lose over half my stack on those two hands.
How should i have played these hands? Thanks in advance
Old 11-08-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Re: A couple of tricky hands

Anyone have any advice?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:36 PM

Check behind the flop on the 2nd hand. When you don't have a good hand with the overcards and bet, you're opening up yourself to a check-raise aka losing ur chips. If he's ahead of you at this point (which he very well could be) you're only getting free cards to hit your set. The only time when checking behind on the flop is bad is when they have a lower PP and they hit a set on you. But that happens less than you hitting a set AND saving yourself chips from a reraise.

BTW I might not have raised JJ in early position preflop. It's really a set or fold hand.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:34 PM

yeah i tend to overplay JJ it seems like a better hand than it is. Thanks a lot for the advice
Old 11-08-2004, 11:20 PM

Could try a limp-RR all-in with Jacks. You don't want to push just yet, but if someone makes a raise, you can move-in for your chips and pick up a nice pot.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:26 AM

JJ isnt a set-only hand when the blinds are 1/11th of yur stack sorry .....i might even raise a little more or just push. if not definitely check that flop..
Old 11-09-2004, 12:40 AM

Odds of setting on flop is 1/8. That's more than 1/11. So there's plenty of time to play it conservatively. You don't want to get into a marginal situation with JJ.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:09 AM

Wow im supertight and im probably running with JJ here sorry yu got 10 10 9 9 8 8 dominated are beating aX got straight potential... If im gonna get beat with JJ at that point so be it ...BTW you gonna make a move with QQ here?? BC the only hands that yur now beating are jj&amp;AQ.....so how is it so dramatically better??
Old 11-09-2004, 02:02 AM

hand #1 is fine , What can he hold that you beat? A reraise preflop is a possiblity, but you did not give his stack size so its hard to determine the correct preflop play here.

Hand #2 I think a limp or all-in is the two lines that I would take on this hand. Limp hope for a set or overpair, push all-in hope for the blinds.