Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2004, 11:37 PM

Default Finished first read of SSH

Hi,

I know swings are a part of the game. I'm a learning player. My strategy changes all the time. Mostly it is changing for the better.

I just finished reading my first poker book, SSH. It has made me change my game quite a bit. I believe it has made me better, but since I began reading it I'm down 90BB over 1500 hands or so.

I think I should continue with my current strategy, and keep an eye on my decisions at the table to make sure they are correct. Probably this is just a normal downswing; and most of you probably agree.

Do any of you experience downswings after making significant adjustments to your game?
Old 11-07-2004, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Finished first read of SSH

Its is possible you are mis-applying some concepts, I would post problem hands here, although 90BB is not too big a swing
Old 11-07-2004, 11:45 PM

I think I remember 90BB being a reasonable standard deviation for an already winning player. You're a neophyte, in what may be some of the loosest games: it's probably not unexpected.

Furthurmore, SSH advocates aggressive play, which is going to give you bigger swings that what you were used to. However, it might not be difficult to take it too far.

Anyway, you're right. Just focus on the hands played, not the stats. Ultimately this is way too likely right now.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:46 PM

Yes that is possible. I'll post a hand that bit me in the butt twice already.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:48 PM

After my first reading of SSHE I had a +45BB session and I thought, Jesus God! This is the greatest book ever!. But it was just a coincidence, though I still win just a little bit more now because of that wonderous book.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:54 PM

Its been suggested that you're misapplying what is in the book which is almost definitely true. The main thing that I noticed I was doing after reading the book was OVERapllying the advice.

Most of the examples in the book where he advocates raising with somewhat weak draws or overcards or whatever the case may be involve large pots, you shouldn't be making these types of plays when the the pot is small or when you have no chance whatsoever of eliminating anyone anyway.

I found that there were a lot of hands where I was all set to raise after reading the book and then realizing that the situation was not what Ed Miller was talking about in his book at all. Remember that the book is providing numerous examples where the conditions are right for a raise, these conditions are not always present. There are plenty of times when you shouldn't raise that gutshot or middle pair on the flop.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:58 PM

what are your significant adjustments?
post some hands and your thoughts during the hand (if you so desire)?

could be chance/could be misadjustment.

the most important thing i realized after reading SSH was that my conception of a tight game did not match with the definition of a tight game.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:00 AM

I finished it about two weeks ago and I've ran (notice I say RAN and not played) really good since then (up about 160BB at 1/2). I'm sure that I am still misapplying some agression and not applying others. I will go re-read the book in a week and see if I can notice what I'm doing wrong.

The thing I've had the most trouble is
1. as others said, adjusting to pot size and...
2. judging three weak draws making a strong draw (two overcards + bd flush + gutshot straight)
Old 11-08-2004, 02:27 AM

I've found when making significant changes to my game that, yes, there is a shaking out period while you adjust and learn to apply the concepts properly. Posting hands that you think might be questionable will help alot with when/where to apply certain strategies.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished reading my first poker book, SSH. It has made me change my game quite a bit. I believe it has made me better, but since I began reading it I'm down 90BB over 1500 hands or so.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've gotten some great advice so far, so I'm not going to add to it, more than to say that whenever I read a poker book, my game hurts for a while. SSH is the only exception so far. But even with other books, my game usually comes back, and then some, after reading a book.

Keep it up.