Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2004, 07:06 PM

Default Re: please explain how people handle mutliple bad beats

[ QUOTE ]

The bolded statement is not correct. You are clearly not "just as likely" to be down if you multi-table versus if you're playing a single table. If you are a winning player, you are more likely to be up. Conversely, if you are a losing player, you're more likely to be down.

[/ QUOTE ]

With this I agree with you. I tried to clear this up in a post above.

[ QUOTE ]
If the problem is variance, which both OP and emonrad's posts assumed, then multi-tabling helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. I think you are mixing up EARN or EXPECTED VALUE with variance. Variance explains the amount you differ from your average (mean). If you add up all of your sessions over the last year and determine that you averaged a $20 win per session playing one table each time you played the variance would tell you +/- how far you could expect to be from $20 in any given session. Now if you play 2 tables every time you played (staying at same level . . say $1/2) for the NEXT year would you expect your average to go up ?? Of course you would. And do you think you would stray more or less from this new average by playing two tables. You would VERY LIKELY stray quite a bit more from this average and hence your Variance (from the mean or average) would go UP not down.

Hope this helps.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] busguy
Old 11-07-2004, 07:15 PM

LOL,

OK. I think WE know what we are talking about. We were just coming at it from different sides of the same equation (pun intended). I'm just not sure whether the other poster (elm....) does. Here's hoping.

cheers

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] busguy
Old 11-07-2004, 07:22 PM

Is "elm.." referring to me? If so, I understand it as well... It seems like we were saying the same thing in different ways? Whatever.. I know why/how it works.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:28 PM

Default The traditinal method

is to kick your dog. I don't have a dog yet, but I'm thinking of renting one because I'm a traditional kind of guy...

--Zetack
Old 11-07-2004, 09:36 PM

I just grit my teeth and raise my QQ again the next time (though personally I'll toss my chips in with a smile then. It's JJ that kills me). Variance is just the nature of the game.

And I've heard that marijuana helps. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2004, 10:33 PM

thanks everybody...It appears that stopping helped me the most...I did make most of it back today...And where do you rent a dog?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And where do you rent a dog?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same place you rent a sheep...the hourly charges are lower though.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:11 AM

Listening to Cake is good advice under any circumstances.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:22 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Is "elm.." referring to me? If so, I understand it as well... It seems like we were saying the same thing in different ways? Whatever.. I know why/how it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

See this thread for a larger discussion on variance and multi-tabling. Basically, more tables = more variance, and less standard error.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to think about some hands where I was behind but had implied odds to stay in, and won. Middle pair + backdoor flush draw that came in, for instance. Remembering being called a chaser always makes me laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good point. I remember really laughing at somebody who accused me of catching a "lucky" river card. Combining pairs, straights, and flushes, I had something like 18 outs against the guy and his KK. Sure, he was ahead going into the river, but I more than had the odds to chase that hand.

If you get caught with the KK in that situation, there's not much you can do. You can't fold, and the opponent will get pot odds no matter what you do. But it sure as heck isn't a "bad beat".

Actually, that's part of the problem, right there. Really, you need to convince yourself that there is no such thing as a "bad beat". As Sklansky says repeatedly in ToP, you come out way ahead, even when somebody draws out a 5-2o against your AA. Giving him that win - or even winning session - is important, so he'll come back tomorrow and next week to play some more with those hands. You *will* beat that type of play, eventually.