Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 02:50 AM

Default Bots scare me

I hear theres a new WinholdEm bot out that does not have the text "WinholdEm" on the window anymore. Supposedly, this is going to foil Party/PokerStars/Paradise.....

http://www.pokerbot.com/

Please reassure me it's just a scam and does not work. I'm scared.
Cuz it doesn't look like Party/Empire software has updated at all to counter the bot.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Bots scare me

Sadly there is no reason this is not legit. About the only thing they could do is make the poker client (Party pokers software etc..) be full screen and the only process allowed to run. Still I've techniques like this beaten too. Basically if the user can do something to the software (Party etc) then so can a bot. I have a feeling you'll just have to live with it if it ever gets popular.

It will be part of table selection. We can still farm stats on these people. There will just be more tight players we have to avoid.

I have a feeling that if it gets real bad party will add software just to look for these bots and it will be continuously updating it's self.

My personal belief based on nothing by intuition is that in 2 years there's a 50% chance that online poker will suck because of bots. I'm trying now to get good enough to do really well at B&M. To those who say it'll never happen or it'll happen sooner, you may be right. This is just my opinion based mostly on palm reading and psychics and what not.

I think the B&M poker bot is still a few years away... it'll have to look feel and sound like a human AND play poker. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2004, 03:38 AM

Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts.
I feel that bots can be defeated easily if updates were manditory downloads. The poker software could easily scan the user's registry to look for bots.

I'm quite sure that poker sites will definitely look into this problem in the future. If they don't, they will lose some of their profitability because of the widespread use of bots. COMPETITION for the "Safest botless" sites will be a selling point of the most popular sites in the future and so, the game will continue to be profitable and we will be protected from the bots.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:25 AM

I agree. My only fear is that it may still scare away the fish. This added to the fact that its getting harder and harder (for fish) to fund their accounts.

It's my understanding that some online video games have software who's purpose is only to look for applications used to cheat.

I just hope they keep up with the bots and minimize the damage.

~CT11
Old 10-21-2004, 04:50 AM

It's really quite simple. If you are afraid of bots then don't play online poker. Simple.

I'm not going to let the threat of some dumb bot deter from playing online. I've played 10's of thousdands of hands and my win rate is just fine. If through these hands i've played against some bots then so be it. Hasn't bankrupted me. You've got to take the good with the bad and right now, online poker is plenty good for me.

If you spend time worrying and playing scared of bots then chances are, you aren't a good player and are looking for a reason why you aren't performing. If that's the case then read more, post hands, and get experience. Don't look for scapegoats and don't play scared.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:00 AM

I think that what happened with online FPS (e.g. quake etc) may repeat itself with poker. A couple of years ago, the online gaming scene was close to being destroyed by bots. However, the gamesw manufacturers had to get their act togethor, because their livelehood was in danger. Now there are specific programs used to detect bots and ban users.

I'm not sure how they work -- anyone have any info about this, and how similar techniques could be used by the poker sites?

Anyhow, the online gaming scene is now a cat and mouse game between increasingly sophisticated bots and detection software. The detection software seems to be winning for now. Like viruses, as long as you are fully patched and updated, there is very little risk.

I think that after online poker goes through a "rough patch" for a couple of years, things will have to improve.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:32 AM

I'm not going to let the threat of some dumb bot deter from playing online. I've played 10's of thousdands of hands and my win rate is just fine. If through these hands i've played against some bots then so be it. Hasn't bankrupted me.

The reason solid players should be concerned about bots isn't because they think the bots can beat them. It's because they'll drain the fish tank of a very significant amount of money, a portion of which you would've earned in their stead.

GoT
Old 10-22-2004, 02:55 AM

I'm not worried about beating bots at the game.
I'm scared that they will drive away the fish that make this game oh-so-good.

I'm sure they would eventually develop a Punkbuster (a ka Half-life mods) type software for bots (Botbuster?) once they realize bots are becoming a deterent to their (the sites) income. That will be their only recourse in order to stay competitive.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you spend time worrying and playing scared of bots then chances are, you aren't a good player and are looking for a reason why you aren't performing. If that's the case then read more, post hands, and get experience. Don't look for scapegoats and don't play scared.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that I'm that good of a player as I am still learning continuously like all poker players, nor am I trying to find a scapegoat for anything. I know I have leaks, everyone does. I just stumbled upon that site and started thinking about the general picture of the future of online poker. I just wanted to have a meaningful discussion of what countermeasures could be taken and when they would be realized. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2004, 07:16 PM

everyone,

bots are alive and well people.
we haven't posted on 2+2 here for several months.
but the bot business is very good.
you can read what bot users are saying here
http://www.winholdem.net/forum/

that is the winholdem online users forum.
you might want to look at the formula section
as well as the release notes.

if you are a new player then you are not likely
to beat winholdem running a strong formula set.
a seasoned player will do only as well as his
play counters the formula set of the bot.

no amount of detection on the part of the poker sites
will prevent the use of bots altogether.
so far no poker site has beat our two computer solution here
http://www.winholdem.net/antidetect.html

the truth is that players at all levels are resorting
to computer assistance to gain an edge.

winholdem happens to be the best computer assistance available anywhere in the world.

we have more than a few professional poker players (both online and live b&m) who use winholdem. some of them are 2+2 members here. the truth is that if you can personally win at online holdem then you can get winholdem to win because it is possible to get to play just like you do.

there are some who say that online poker is not beatable. and if they are correct then we would agree this implies that a bot cannot win. however, we take issue with those who claim that they can beat the game but that no bot can. anybody who asserts that is either an idiot or a misinformationalist. if you can beat the game then you can get a bot to beat the game pure and simple (there is a lot of evidence on our side here).
http://www.winholdem.net/forum/viewt...hlight=january

again you dont have to take my word for it, after all i'm paid to promote winholdem, but if you think i'm spouting mounds of camel dung here then read what winholdem users have to say.
http://www.winholdem.net/forum/

winholdem was also recently mentioned in this msnbc article
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6002298/
there are many other holdem assistance products out there. it's not an accident winholdem was the only one mentioned. it is a genuine programmable pokerbot.

winholdem support
http://www.pokerbot.com