Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Go for a c/r?

I felt I had odds to call on the flop. Go for the c/r on the turn or bet out?

PokerRoom 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $1.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero ???</font>
Old 11-06-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Go for a c/r?

I may be wrong but on a 2 suited coordinated board like that, might be best to bet saying "I have the queen." Its not likely someones made their straight, but its possible. There's also a good liklihood that everyone is drawing, and you wouldn't want this to get checked through. I think the play is to bet. Also, considering the BB bet the flop, your check-raise is going to marry everyone to the pot and your hand isn't strong enough to stand it.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:44 PM

I'd have folded this on the flop with just 5 small bets in the pot and a highly coordinated board. You have an inside str8 draw, but an 8 of clubs could give someone a flush. A backdoor flush draw. Any 9 could give someone else a str8. A club Q could give someone else a flush. Even if you hit the Q, you could already be drawing dead to a str8 or someone could hit the flush.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have folded this on the flop with just 5 small bets in the pot and a highly coordinated board. You have an inside str8 draw, but an 8 of clubs could give someone a flush. A backdoor flush draw. Any 9 could give someone else a str8. A club Q could give someone else a flush. Even if you hit the Q, you could already be drawing dead to a str8 or someone could hit the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 7SB in the pot, not 5.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:27 PM

On the flop, you have:

Two overcards (6 outs)
Backdoor flush draw (1 out total?)
Inside straight draw (4 outs)

Total outs: 11

But, some of those are not clean.

The 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] gives a flush
Any 8 gives you second high straight
A 9 could give anyone with an 8 a straight

So you need to lower your 11 outs:

-1 for the 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
-1 for the Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

-3 for any 9 (?)
-1 for the other two 8s since you will not have the nut straight (?)

<font color="blue">Not sure the total negatives for the unclean outs</font>

So you have 5 clean outs and need 8.4:1 to call (52 - 5 seen cards - 5 outs = 42:5).

You are getting 7:1, so you should fold.

Since you called, the Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is a very good card for you and with BB next to act, I think it is better to lead the turn hoping that BB will raise and knock the other two out.