Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Future of Poker Online

When the word "gay" is used as an adjective as in "gay legislation" I do not associate it with it's homosexual root. It's just a mild slam.

I think a far worse example of the evolvement of a word is "jew" used as a verb as in "I jewed him down in price". I'll tell you how far that word had evolved for me though. I had no idea it had anything to do with Jewish. Honestly it was only about 2 years ago that one day the roots of the phrase dawned on me. Of course then I started wondering if I had ever used it in front of any of my Jewish friends.

Anyhow I don't think you should get too worked up over words (unless someone calls you weak/tight).
Old 11-05-2004, 03:43 PM

Story time . . . I'm at a new job, trading the usual small talk with the guy who's training me. We were both in fraternities, so we talked about that a little. He hadn't heard of mine before, and I explained that it was a traditionally Jewish house (up until the 1950s it only pledged Jewish member). Later in the night he used your favorite phrase.

Scott
Old 11-05-2004, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When the word "gay" is used as an adjective as in "gay legislation" I do not associate it with it's homosexual root. It's just a mild slam.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with nap in believing that the word "gay" should not be used as a pejorative. Of course its root as a "mild slam" is derived from its meaning "homosexual", because it sure isn't derived from its meaning happy and bright, now is it?

The fact that "gay" is used as such a non-specific pejorative is to my mind particularly upsetting, since it implies that homosexuality is just plain bad in every way, which is about as prejudiced as it gets.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyhow I don't think you should get too worked up over words

[/ QUOTE ]

That's extremely naive. Wars have been fought over less.

Guy.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:18 PM

Sorry Fyodor, but we all need to be less ignorant of our own language. How can you not see this? Do you doubt that Gays/Jews would not be offended by such language? The source and intent of using such language is apparent and while ignorance is an excuse, it is a pathetically poor one and does not reduce the effect it has on those (intentionally or not) it is aimed at.

When I was at school the word "nigger" was in wide use. I never really thought about it being racially abusive until I saw the response of Afro-caribbean people to it's use (there was no real "black Britain" in those days - they were all just "immigrants"). There were no black kids at my school, or at least very few. I was horrified and ashamed that I had not realised this earlier. You may think this is a trivial matter, but try talking to those who have to suffer the humiliation and indignity if its use. THAT is what really matters.

Perhaps fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your viewpoint, the roots of some language has been lost in the ubiquity of it's use, but many people don't understand the brutality and shame of their own history. Try being the victim of oppression and see how quickly your viewpoint changes.

"It is only by education and having knowledge that we modify our behaviour, and our use of language."

Are we off-topic yet?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:41 PM

I am really not surprised that what was intended to spark an interesting discussion has turned into this.If my terminology has offended anybody then I apologize but the fact is I had no underlying malicious intent aimed at homosexuals in the use of the word gay.Maybe you did not realize it,Naphand,but "gay" has morphed into a broader term for sucky ,shitty,bad ect...here in the U.S.I am curious to the state of you personal life if you feel the need to go off with this crap to a first time threader who began by complimenting the posters on this particular forum.Maybe a little frustrated about being stuck at the $1 $2 level?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you did not realize it,Naphand,but "gay" has morphed into a broader term for sucky ,shitty,bad ect...here in the U.S

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think that's exactly what bothers him.

Scott
Old 11-05-2004, 07:57 PM

I was so pissed of when I saw how Naphand ruined my first thread I forgot to mention in my reply that I am white and my girlfriend is black.Nice to see such [censored] from one of the most knowledgable posters.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:43 PM

i never thought i'd see the phrase "lingua franca" in a poker forum. i agree the cavalier use of the term "gay" is mildly offensive. but if i remember anything from world history, America's reprehensible past in regards to its treatment of indigenous people and its use of slaves pales in comparison to the imperialism exhibited by your country over numerous centuries. now can we leave politics behind and return to the serious business of poker?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:24 PM

Thanks for getting us back on track Hack.I probably took Naps criticism too personally as he is clearly just looking for an excuse to lash out at the Bush administration.Once again I meant no disrespect to our gay friends(whom I would bet could not care less,anyway).Regarding the comments on how pokers' current status cannot be sustained-Is that meant to say the current growth rate?Attrition in that sense is a given but regardless of the inevitable decline of the faddishness it seems as though tens of thousands of people are now permanantly hooked on the game,for better or worse.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:02 AM

It is called "having principles".

And your ultra-childish jibe about $1/$2 is not only irrelevant, but incorrect.