Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 01:32 PM

Default $1 and other small online tournaments

I am curious to what people think of the small online tournaments. I have been playing at poker stars for some time now with modest success. I play what I believe to be a sound game but that is beside my question here. Are these tournaments even worth my while? It seems to me they are overwhelmingly driven by luck. Any thoughts.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: $1 and other small online tournaments

I've not played a tournament less than $10+$1 (whether it's an SNG or multi-table). In talking with others that have, I hear more about it being about luck than skill, as too many people view it as "only a buck" vs. a way to improve upon your game.

Even in the $10+$1 tournaments, it's a rarity to NOT have someone go out in the first round! I've played in some SNGs where we were down to 4 people by the 3rd level. The vast majority of my online tournament play has been at Party.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:29 PM

They are a very good way to get cheap experience dealing with common situations that arise in every tournament. Sure, the quality of play is weaker than other tournaments, but as you noted in the $10-$20 tournaments you'll see players who are just as bad but have bigger bankrolls.

I've played a number of cheap tournaments in the past at Prima and felt they were worthwhile. And as the field is thinned, the overall quality of play improves.

You aren't wasting your time. Keep 'em up, till you have bankroll for bigger events. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:05 PM

I've played a number of them. I consider them to be cheap experience. You can play for a couple hours for a buck to get tournament experience. It won't be the greatest tournament experience, but it's better than no tournament experience.

Think of them more as a way to get familiar with tournament play than a tournament.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:13 PM

Agreed. I'm successful playing fixed-limit ring games, but I do have trouble with no-limit tournaments. I've found that playing five or six freerolls and micro-stakes tourneys -- either MTT or SNG -- in a week does help improve my play enough that I'm getting more competitive in the bigger tournaments that I'll play occasionally.

I would say that if you're interested in tournament play and a relative beginner, the low-stakes tourneys is fine practice and experience to help you train for the "big leagues."