Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Thoughts on rebuy tourneys

Typical rebuy tourney on Stars

X entrants
X entry fees
1.8X - 2.2X rebuys
0.6X add ons

Prize pool 3.4X -3.6X

Players remaining after the first hour (Y): 0.8X

Money line 0.09X (or 0.11Y)

So, for example, in a $10+1R, for every player remaining at the break, there will be $42.50 - $45 in the pool. It's like a $45 tourney, EXCEPT

1) you only pay $1 in rake

2) you can easily get to the break with 4,700 - 5,000+ chips for $31, and can make it for $21

3) 11% of the field remaining at the break makes the money - which is better than the standard 10%

Even at 4 buyins ($41), it's better to play in a $10+1R than a $30+3 or $50+5 just because of the rake break and better money line.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on rebuy tourneys

Completely agree. Rebuy tourneys are the only ones I ever play. I never did the specific math, I just observed that for the prizes were very fat compared to the entry fee plus rake.

Also, alot of chips in play creates deep money, which makes for a better tournament.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:56 PM

The other obvious advantage is loose players literally spewing chips during the rebuy period, making it easy for a solid player to double up or triple up at their expense.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:01 PM

I agree that rebuys can be very profitable tournies to play as long as you're not getting continuously sucked out on during the rebuy period. My only dislike in the rebuys is they can turn into a crap shoot after the 2nd break because the 1st hr doesn't eliminate enough players. Overall though i would much rather play the $10 Rebuy on Stars than a $30 or $50 buy in.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:43 PM

If I am reading this correctly, it is good long term ev to re-buy immediatly to t3000 and then to add-on at break for t5000 and play super tight untill you are in the money? It looks to me like the math is:

your $31.00 likely gets you itm and at least some profit a good percentage of the time?

Or, are you saying:

the overlay is so big you should just play a super tight/smart game without re-buying or adding-on and you should still be itm a good percentage of the time and your profit will be greater?

I currently don't know how I feel about re-buying. I love the tourney -- I have only played in three now (usually I play sngs) -- but I don't know if re-buying is a good idea or not?

Any thoughts?

ryan