Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 07:46 AM

Default Re: An online non-fold

QQ runs into AA so rarely, that it really is not worth getting over into a big fuss about. More so often, over pairs are good on most garbage flops that you want to play them stronly enough to maximize your value. If you are beat by a bigger overpair so be it, especially online given the nature of some Party players.

The biggest mistake for you in this hand wouldn't have been not 3-betting pre-flop, but folding the hand either on the turn/river provided you didn't have enough knowledge and experience dealing with the player. What if the player showed down AJ suited or TT?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:18 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Had I any info that UTG would raise light, I definitely would've 3 bet pre-flop. But I'm not one who feels the need to squeeze value from a situation where there might not be any. Even so...

[/ QUOTE ]

since when do UTG players raise only AA, KK, and AK? and since when do cold-callers have AK? there's clearly a ton of value in this situation.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:50 AM

AJ was one of the only hands I figured to have beat (along with QQ for a tie). TT?? Like I said.. I tend to (wrongly?) give people credit for playing reasonable. He's certainly not supposed to have TT there. Why would he raise the flop AND continue betting both the turn and river into obvious playing opponents with this hand?

I'm the first to admit that online play baffles me. Even though I've been doing quite a bit better lately, I still defer to you guys. If you say 3-betting this flop has a lot of value online, I believe you. There are live game players I know who I'd definitely 3-bet against. But most of the live game players I know (who also know me and what I'd bet the flop with), couldn't have TT or a worse hand here. And as I said, I don't think I'm even that big of a favorite against an AK with a spade.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:52 AM

are you insane?

Sometimes.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:55 AM

My reason for not 3-betting pre-flop wasn't just because UTG could have AA,KK, etc. See my other posts and also Dan Z's.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:03 AM

I agree you can't just go around mucking overpairs. But sometimes the combination of the board and action tells you that you just don't have the best hand. How many times in a live game have you mucked an overpair JJ on a board that contains a ten and a nine? Those who say, "Never" have room for improvement and are not making top $$ (in my opinion). Sometimes you just know your opponent has a decent pocket pair too and if he doesn't have precisely JJ with you, your pair of jacks can't be any good. This doesn't happen often, but sometimes the combination of "the action" plus "the board" allows a better player to not pay off and fold a hand that might still look good to a lesser player. But I agree it's hard to be so precise against online players. This is why I paid this guy off even though I stongly suspected I had a loser.