Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Interesting...

Who is this posting the fact that New York City and Washington, D.C. vote Democratic is some sort of insight to the countries opinions on terrorism? These cities and most urban areas always go Democratic, while more rural and suburban areas typically vote Republican. This is due to the differing demographics found in both areas.

Also, of what signifigance is the avg ACT score of states going to either candidate? First of all, if you are trying to make some sort of correlation between intelligence and political views, the method is highly flawed and it would make much more sense to calculate the avg ACT score of Kerry voters vs Bush voters as your state averages for Kerry include many voters that voted against him in certain states. Second, what are you trying to say about peoples intellegence and political views. This ivory tower elitist position your trying to prove that more intelligent people vote for Kerry than Bush is quite insulting.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:58 PM

Lazy,

I actually agree with your point.

I don't understand why Kerry didn't challenge Bush to an IQ test though. That certainly would have made a difference.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:23 PM

To be honest, I don't want to come off as elitist. However, I do wish I had statistics for the I.Q. of Bush voters versus Kerry voters. I believe Kerry voters would tend to be more rational people, but that is my opinion and I am entitled to that. Moreover, I am not trying to say that Kerry is a genius and so is everyone who votes for him. Like most people I simply voted for him because I didn't want to vote for Bush.

My post about the ACT scores was not slanderous. It was a fact that I took the time to compile. Maybe it would show different things over a 10 year average, but I don't have that much time. I didn't take shots at specific places in the country, types of people yes, but not complete areas.

You don't have to accept my opinion, and that's American. From people I talk to... people who support Bush don't want to think very deeply about the actions he has taken, they just like the fact it is action of some sort. People who want to remove him consider the consequences of those actions. And beefing up the military 300% will not stop terrorism, it is a cultural/economic problem. Well, that's not true. If you kill everyone in the area, you will stop terrorism in that area.

I feel like I'm getting spoonfed truckloads of reassurance and Texan charm, but I'm starving for some results.

IMO.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:44 PM

i don't think this should be argued by citing intelligence or lack thereof from different sides. it is not productive, does not matter and is anecdotal at best.

honestly, this election was won by the brilliance of rove and the conservative machine. had they not gotten the gay issue on so many ballots, the republican turnout would not have been near what it was. state propositions are more likely to be the reason for the victory than anything else.

arguing about intelligence of the base is as unamerican as you can get. this is elitist thinking that is usually reserved for dictatorships. many of us will never like W, but we have to support our country. imo, bickering will only sully the entire process that makes us great. this is coming from someone who could not watch the acceptance speech out of fear of vomitting. W is an idiot, but he is our leader and commander in chief. however, thank god i live in a country where i can call him an idiot without being brought out into the desert for an appointment with a machette..

my 2 cents
Old 11-03-2004, 07:17 PM

Man, I hate this to be my first post but...

POLITICAL POINTS

Secret Weapon for Bush?
By JOHN TIERNEY
Published: October 24, 2004

Secret Weapon

For Bush?

To Bush-bashers, it may be the most infuriating revelation yet from the military records of the two presidential candidates: the young George W. Bush probably had a higher I.Q. than did the young John Kerry.

That, at least, is the conclusion of Steve Sailer, a conservative columnist at the Web magazine Vdare.com and a veteran student of presidential I.Q.'s. During the last presidential campaign Mr. Sailer estimated from Mr. Bush's SAT score (1206) that his I.Q. was in the mid-120's, about 10 points lower than Al Gore's.

Mr. Kerry's SAT score is not known, but now Mr. Sailer has done a comparison of the intelligence tests in the candidates' military records. They are not formal I.Q. tests, but Mr. Sailer says they are similar enough to make reasonable extrapolations.

Mr. Bush's score on the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test at age 22 again suggests that his I.Q was the mid-120's, putting Mr. Bush in about the 95th percentile of the population, according to Mr. Sailer. Mr. Kerry's I.Q. was about 120, in the 91st percentile, according to Mr. Sailer's extrapolation of his score at age 22 on the Navy Officer Qualification Test.

Linda Gottfredson, an I.Q. expert at the University of Delaware, called it a creditable analysis said she was not surprised at the results or that so many people had assumed that Mr. Kerry was smarter. "People will often be misled into thinking someone is brighter if he says something complicated they can't understand," Professor Gottfredson said.

Many Americans still believe a report that began circulating on the Internet three years ago, and was quoted in "Doonesbury," that Mr. Bush's I.Q. was 91, the lowest of any modern American president. But that report from the non-existent Lovenstein Institute turned out to be a hoax.

You might expect Kerry campaign officials, who have worried that their candidate's intellectual image turns off voters, to quickly rush out a commercial trumpeting these new results, but for some reason they seem to be resisting the temptation.

Upon hearing of their candidate's score, Michael Meehan, a spokesman for the senator, said merely: "The true test is not where you start out in life, but what you do with those God-given talents. John Kerry's 40 years of public service puts him in the top percentile on that measure."
Old 11-03-2004, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thank god i live in a country where i can call him an idiot without being brought out into the desert for an appointment with a machette..

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post Granny. No matter how you voted, you have to be proud to be an American today.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:31 AM

Default Re: kerry by 4

LOL, GrannyMae you miserable bat. Amazing you are still here showing everyone what a horrible excistence you have in life. What a total loser you are. So pathetic.
If i werent such an A-hole i would almost feel sorry for ya.
Let me coin the phrase first "cyberhermit" LOL i can only guess at the personal pain you feel when you reflect at your life and what you do, day in day out. Im sure you remember my advice to you. Its not too late you have the power to make the pain stop.

God Bless America, God Bless George W. Bush!!!!
Bush Wins Bush Wins Bush Wins. What a GREAT day for America!!
4 more years 4 more years 4 more years 4 more years

MRV
Old 11-04-2004, 10:17 AM

Default To LSUfan1

"President Bush is a leader regardless of what you think and as an enlisted veteran and future Naval Officer I stand behind our Commander-in-Chief just as stongly as I would have stood behind Kerry had he become the leader of our country! Put aside your ego and understand that this country goes far beyond the borders of NY and we are all just as proud and intelligent, regardless of what you yankees might think."

How can you possibly be "proud" of Bush's actions during the Vietnam War? The very best you can say for him was that he abandoned his sworn obligation to his country to go work on a political campaign. He dodged actual combat by getting a cushy commission that was set up to protect fellers just like him (and exclude the likes of the rest of us). Dick Cheney was a walking deferrment machine. Funny thing, they both thought the war was a great idea, just so long as their ass wasn't on the line.

As far as your intelligence is concerned, very large numbers of Bush supporters still believe against all evidence that Hussein was behind the 9/11 attacks and
possessed stockpiles of nuclear weapons. These are simply lies, they've been demonstrated to be so endlessly, yet they continue to believe. So at what point do we have to admit that yes, such people are in fact simply stupid?

Insp.
He can order men to their death but that sort of thing just isn't for people of good breeding like himself.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:28 AM

The exit poll results tended to show that people with no high school education voted for Kerry, people with graduate-level education voted for Kerry, and the people in between tended to vote for Bush.

I think this is meaningful but perhaps not in the way you were hoping.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Granny, this hurts much more after you got my hopes up

[ QUOTE ]
there is some speculation that nevada and NM may have been lost because there was this feeling of 'job done' buzzing around the country, therefore the dems in the west coast states did not bother voting.

it was a fair election, and for that we need to be greatful. the only issues were the pollsters and media (what else is new?)

here's an early prediction ---> HRC will be pres. in 2008

[/ QUOTE ]

Conventional wisdom is that people stop voting when they hear that their guy has LOST.

My favorite theory is that the angrier voters tend to vote earlier, and in this election that meant the anti-Bush types. I don't know if there is any validity to this but it sounds good.

As for Hillary, look, I live in New York, I am a 3-time Clinton voter, but when they asked New Yorkers in the exit polls whether Hillary would make a good President only 45% said yes. If she can't even get the numbers here then I'd suggest maybe the Democratic Party should look for someone other than a Northeastern liberal next time.