Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 04:13 AM

Default AK - overcards

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 11-04-2004, 06:52 AM

Default Re: AK - overcards

You have a protected pot on the river so I don't see any other river play than checking behind and hoping they were both on draws and hit no pairs. Betting would be unlikely to get a better hand to drop even 10% of the time so is unlikely to be worth trying without reads (high folded to a river bet values).

Why are you betting into 4 opponents on the turn from the middle? Were you going to fold to a raise? Did you think that at least 13% of the time all 5 would fold? Your really only had 3 outs to the nuts, your overcards make three to a straight and could fill someones flush. Not strong enough of a draw to bet and not likely to win the pot right there. I check the turn and call a bet and fold to two.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:38 AM

I check the turn as well.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:00 AM

The only street I don't like is the turn. Your bet doesn't accomplish a whole lot.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you betting into 4 opponents on the turn from the middle? Were you going to fold to a raise? Did you think that at least 13% of the time all 5 would fold? Your really only had 3 outs to the nuts, your overcards make three to a straight and could fill someones flush. Not strong enough of a draw to bet and not likely to win the pot right there. I check the turn and call a bet and fold to two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I now see that I overvalued my overcard outs. I understand my error.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:10 AM

you should check this turn. you won't win the hand right there and its not likely enough that you'll have the best hand.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:48 AM

Is this check/fold or check/call on the turn - and why?

I ask, because I would have bet here and folded to a raise, as I assume Farrquaad planned to.

I initially estimated about 5 outs (in probable ignorance)and, coupled with the chance he was best, I wouldn't want to fold - given the lack of aggression from anyone so far and a reasonably large pot.

If you are recommending check/call - is this in the hope of everyone checking the turn to save a bet?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this check/fold or check/call on the turn - and why?

I ask, because I would have bet here and folded to a raise, as I assume Farrquaad planned to.

I initially estimated about 5 outs (in probable ignorance)and, coupled with the chance he was best, I wouldn't want to fold - given the lack of aggression from anyone so far and a reasonably large pot.

If you are recommending check/call - is this in the hope of everyone checking the turn to save a bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/Call one/Fold Two. If the next player after you bets and you get two callers, you have odds just for the gutshot. Even without two calls from other players, I think you call one because you have overcards. If the second player after you bets I still call because it is unlikely the 4th player to act was looking to check raise. If either of the last two bet and one of the first two check raises, I am out and saved my money. Betting the turn here does nothing but hurt you the vast majority of the time.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:18 PM

I see it now - many thanks.