Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 09:51 PM

Default Custom Chips

I am going to order a custom set of ChipCo's and wanted to know if people preferred Homepokerchips.com of TheChipStore.com. I plan on having the artwork done by a friend and am going to be getting 500 chips in 5 denominations. I plan on putting the demons only as rolling edge spots so that they are closer to non-denom for different games.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
thanks guys

e
Old 11-02-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Custom Chips

Just got mine from Homepokerchips.com.

Would not go anywhere else.. Ask for Dave...
Old 11-03-2004, 02:10 PM

thanks
Old 11-03-2004, 02:44 PM

I went through thechipstore and have a hell of a time with their customer service. Eventhough I never dealt with homepokerchips, I'd lean towards pointing you in their direction.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:02 PM

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty sure thechipstore.com is one guy - Dan. I recently canceled an order from there. He was pleasant to deal with, but I didn't like any of the art he showed me, mostly clipart. homepokerchips.com seems like an actual business with more than one person. I got samples from them and have talked with them a few times, got an excellent impression. Chipstore would probably be cheaper if you want something simple. Some people on here have gone through chipstore and have been happy.

warewulf
Old 11-03-2004, 05:32 PM

I just posted my experience w/ thechipstore.com in the poll thread....

I would recommend you going directly through a chipco represenative or through homepokerchips.com. I've only dealt w/ thechipstore.com - Dan Harkenrider - and let me tell you that no matter how nice and savvy he is on the phone (his favorite line is, "i want you to have these chips more than you do") he is going to be HELL when you put your order in. His follow up skills are HORRIBLE.

The chips, on the other hand, are awesome... but they are chipco chips, so you may want to go directly to the source.

just my two cents. hopefully you can read my post in the poll thread.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:42 PM

sounds like homepokerchips is the way to go. thanks for the comments. as this is gonna be my first set of denominational chips i wanted see what people thought of this chip breakdown. i normally play an initial buy in of around $25 and play with blinds of .25 and .50 for either NL or 1-2 hold em. i am getting more into other games but they would be similar in the buy in and limits.
also i may want to use them for tournament style at some point
$.25-50
$.50-100 (acting as $50 in tournament)
$1-200
$5-100
$25-50

thanks again for your input
e
Old 11-04-2004, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$.25-50
$1-200
$5-100
$25-50

e

[/ QUOTE ]

One, save money and don't get the 0.50 chips. Second, make them worth $100 for tournaments, not $50- you already have greens- better to jump 4:1 or more between denoms.

Change your chip counts accordingly. Also, one thing to think about- if you have cash game chips used for tournaments for different values, what prevents me from holding out tournament chips and cashing them back in during the ring game, making a profit?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sounds like homepokerchips is the way to go. thanks for the comments. as this is gonna be my first set of denominational chips i wanted see what people thought of this chip breakdown. i normally play an initial buy in of around $25 and play with blinds of .25 and .50 for either NL or 1-2 hold em. i am getting more into other games but they would be similar in the buy in and limits.
also i may want to use them for tournament style at some point
$.25-50
$1-200
$5-100
$25-50

e

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Solepro,
Just had a couple of comments more food for thought...

• Patrick at HPC wasn't for putting text on the rolling edge so don't be surprised if he tries to talk you out of it. Since I wasn't going that route I didn't inquire further so he may be refering more to multiple words rather than just denoms.

• If you decide to go the denom route & want to plan for tourneys you could always use the standards ($1, $5, $25, $100 & $500) and use the $5's as 5¢ or 50¢ & $25's as 25¢ or $2.50 etc... I would think your regulars would adjust but your larger home tourney folks would need the help of denoms. Plus the non-denom crowd is always concerned with stakes changing down the road & the stnd's allow you to move up [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

• You may want to contact Dave & Patrick before you initiate your order just to 1) get a feel for their service but more importantly 2) get tips/suggestions for comming up with a design... unless you're all set there.

• Post your designs for feedback

Good luck & I think Miksen put it best when he said the process was fun-confusing,
Fins
Old 11-04-2004, 12:32 PM

FYI solepro, part of the reason I went with 5 chips was to have chips not in play in the tourney (i.e. my blu $1's) which can be used for side games... of course cash sides could always be just that cash [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Of course I'm getting more chips so having extra isn't as much an issue as it would be for 500 chips. Also, you can always use the $5 chips (or whatever) after they've been colored up (probably also be the earliest a side game would be started anyway) so you could account for all the chips prior to releasing them for side game use... just a thought.

Nothing gets a crowd excited like a short bank,
Fins