Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Re: what I would like the remants of my party to do

Hi Kanigawa -

Agreed on all points, except for Dean. Like McCain in 2000, Dean looked a little like a nutjob. The base might have turned out better for Dean, but he would have gotten creamed in the swing states.

The guy to win the election for the Dems was Joe Lieberman. Unfortunately, the left wing of the party, which seems to be wagging the dog, hates Joe Lieberman. I was pretty annoyed that Joe L's name was off the ballot by the time the PA democratic primary was held. Hey, there's another suggestion --- forget the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire and all that --- move the PA primary up in the schedule. There are lots of moderate democrats here who simply could not stomach Kerry.

At this point, if the Democrats want to be relevant beyond local politics in the coming years, they definitely need to kick the left wing to the curb and embrace free markets, low taxes, and restrained spending. You can win a lot of votes this way, even if you do maintain a socially liberal stance. As a bonus this might force the Republicans to distance themselves from the religious right and big-government conservatism. If that happens, we get _two_ good candidates (in addition to the Libertarian!) per election instead of the usual zero, and then we can all be happy.

Cepstrum
Old 11-03-2004, 12:32 PM

Default good post n/m

^
Old 11-03-2004, 12:34 PM

Cep,

A well thought out and rational plan for the dems. If they follow that model, they can certainly win.

I hope they don't!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:44 PM

In 2008, we must do what we should have done this time around -- nominate Edwards.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:48 PM

I'm a very liberal democrat and I would have voted for Bush over Lieberman.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:37 PM

Default I..e., Dems need to drink the kool-aid

[ QUOTE ]
"if the Democrats want to be relevant beyond local politics in the coming years, they definitely need to kick the left wing to the curb and embrace free markets, low taxes, and restrained spending."

[/ QUOTE ]
In other words, the Democrats become a "relevant" alternative by embracing an unpopular GOP-led war, adopting GOP economic slogans and generally trying to persuading people to vote for them for the same reason they already vote for the GOP. This, you contend, is the solution to the Democrats hair-breadth inability to defeat probably the most despised President, by Democrats, in more than a century. This after an election where the choices were so poorly defined and removed from actual concerns that 40% of the electorate didn't bother to vote, and where huge percentages, according to the polls, vote randomly, often against their professed concerns and interests.

This is just the glib TV commentator view that can't acknowledge or even imagine that there is, much less why there is, any serious political divisions within the U.S., apart from a sensible disain for anti-war and Christian crazies. It's a precription for a smiley-faced one-party fascism that disenfrachises more than 2/3's of the electorate. Brought to you by the people committed to "building democracy" in Afghanistan and Iraq.

One of your allusions is apt. As heralded by the Lieberman candidacy (as well as DLC cheerleading for low taxes, "free trade" and the rest of the corporate agenda) we're nearly there already.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:12 PM

Terry Mac works for the Clintons. The Clintons are still the head of the Dem party even though Bill's been gone 2 elections now. They did not want Kerry to win. Hillary has her eye on 2008, don't doubt it for a minute.

Lieberman had no chance because there is no way America is going to elect a Jew President. This is not meant to be racist, it is just something I believe to be true.

Ditto for Mr. Obama (Substitute Jew for Black). Also, his name hurts him. If it was more normal sounding he'd have a better chance. I don't see enough people pulling the lever for a dude named Barrack Obama. Might as well be named Kwiese Mfume.

I don't know if the Dem Party can be saved. How do you keep the party base (working class but socially conservative people) under the same tent as a bunch of loonies who are screaming for gay marriage, radical environmental restrictions and any other nutcase cause du jour? The Dem party made a huge error by letting the fringe elements take control of the party platform, when they probably constitute 10% or less of the total party membership.

As a result of these recent electoral spankings, I expect the aforementioned fringe groups to splinter and start defecting to political parties that truly reflect their beliefs, like the Greens. I predict the Green party will pick up many new members in the coming months as current far-left Dems defect in disgust.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:22 PM

Default No, the Dems need to throw out the kool-aid

The Dems have moved quite a bit to the Left recently. The Deaniacs and Pelosis and Moore's versions--these are more "wing" than most of the Dem party used to be not so very long ago.

Of course, they still probably haven't moved far enough Left to suit you.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes I'm a moderate( I vote both ways although I do lean Democratic)

[/ QUOTE ]
So now the Dems are your party. Funny how you swing both ways to suit your latest point. Another flip flopper...
Old 11-03-2004, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Fire Terry Macauliffe- this guy is bad in every respect except raising money.We need someone who actually wants to lead, not raise money.
2.) have a conference to decide what our party stands for. at the monet the only thing it stands for is beating George Bush, which even I find funnny at this point. If it doesnt actually come up with a real goal, a philosophy, then It should just be disbanded.
3. DO NOT nominate Hilllary Clinton. democrats should have nominated Howard Dean, because he actually believes in everything he says. He is just not a good politician, but a good governer, john kerry bieng the complete opposite. we should nominate someone who actually stands for something, otherwise we will continue to fall for anything.I actually believe, considering the shocking defeat of Tom Daschle and my dislike of hillary( I would love to see Bill run again though) that Barak obama is the best guy left.He really should be nominated in 2008. I believe he is a powerful proactive speaker who could save the party.

Thats just my opinion. How would you go about the discontinuation of burying our own grave?

[/ QUOTE ]
Long-term political strategy for the Dems: Stop trying to turn us into a collectivist state. Long-term political strategy for the Reps: Stop trying to turn us into a religious state. Let's all live free the way it this country was meant. Libertarianism rules!