Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 04:59 AM

Default Why do moral issues favor the republicans?

I have always wondered why so many culturally-conservative people vote republican. I honestly believe they are very poorly informed. It surprises me to find that it's more important to people that the president is pro-life than that they have a job or not. Here's why I believe the moral voters, especially the anti-gun control and pro-lifers are misinformed when casting their vote:
The president doesn't have that much say in these issues. For the most part, gun laws are set by state governments, not the president. W can say all he wants about how he's anti-gun control, or whatever, but the truth is he doesn't have that much say on individual citizens gun rights. The same goes for abortion. What has W done to limit abortion? Do these right wingers honestly believe abortion will be made illegal under a republican administration? When Roe v. Wade was passed, Ford, a Republican, was in office. W isn't going to make abortion illegal, so why do so many evangelical christians vote solely on this issue?
On the other hand, he does have say in many issue facing the country, such as the economy. And by any realistic account, his economic policy has been a failure. Ohio has 200,000 job losses. It would be poetic justice if every one of these W voters in Ohio losses their job in the next 4 years. Sure, they'll have a pro-lifer that's done little of substance to further their pro-life cause, but they may be out of a job. I hope they're happy.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Why do moral issues favor the republicans?

Anyone else have anything to say about this?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:52 AM

Because people are hypocrits. Take abortion. They'll vote for the pro life candidate but if they were in the situation of an unwanted pregnancy they would pay for it in the case of a male or have it performed in the case of a female.

This type of hypocrisy allows people to feel better about themselves.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:48 AM

Because the President has the authority to appoint judges who can make abortion illegal.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:48 AM

Short answer - The moral issues favor the Republicans because as a whole the Republicans are on the right side side of the moral issues of the day.

Dems can take heart though ...... When the Republicans run a pro-choice candidate for the White House, as his likely to happen in 4 years (Rudy seems a strong possiblity at this point), ........... they will fail to turn out their base and lose. Unless of course the Dems do what also seems likely at this point and run Hiliary. That might energize the Republican base.

But 4 years is a long long time in politics. Who knows who will emerge in 2008?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:09 AM

I think there are a lot of factors.

1) Even though the president can't really do anything about many moral issues, cultural conservatives believe that in the off chance that the issue is influenced by the pres they would rather have a like-minded person on their side.

2) Convervative politicians tend to use the same language as the cultural conservatives. Invocations of God are common, talking about good and evil, etc. This is a language that is heard and understood by cultural conservatives.

3) The president is a key part in setting the domestic agenda. Moral issues that cultural conservatives care about are more likely to become part of the domestic agenda with a cultural conservative in office.

4) Republicans have done a better job of claiming the moral superiority of their positions than have Democrats. The truth or falsity of the claim is irrelevant in this regard. I think this is due, in large part, to #2 above.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:41 AM

Default There are two Americas

Dynasty had a very good post about this one day prior to the election.

Despite the American electorate saying different, I still believe that

- Abortion should be a matter of choice of the pregnant woman up to a certain point in pregnancy time
- An adult should be able to do whatever he/she wants with his/her body, and that includes having sex, taking chemical substances, or sun tanning
- Free speech is more important than religion
- The government should not be religious
- The law of men supersedes the law of God (of any god)
- All cultures and philosophical ideas do not have the same moral value; some are more worthy of learning and following in life than others.
- Each and every one of us should take pride in his/her nationality and culture but these things do not make one superior to others, of seemingly 'inferior' cultures/nationalities
- Races are superficial categorisations of Man, based on skin colour and external characteristics; our physical specs are identical
- We should be weary of teleological and eschatological promises, no matter how enticing or thrilling
- Our "house", this planet, is the only home we will have for the foreseeable future (which means the next millennium at least). So we better take good care of it, as good as possible; even to the detriment of "short-term" considerations such as business profits. All within reason.
- Health care should be available to anyone who needs it and not to anyone who can afford it. If we place the profit motive above all else, we stand no chance of being rational.

The America that voted in GWB yesterday does not believe in those values. Karl Rove won; I don't know about the rest of the country.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Re: There are two Americas

Why I do believe that you think man created God rather than the other way around ...... no wonder you're so screwed up.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:33 AM

Default You think God created Man ?

OK, I have no problem with that. You wanna believe that God created Man - that's your privilege.

The question is, by what right do you wanna make me believe that as well?

The United States is heading towards religious fundamentalism, which differs from the Saudi Arabian variant in name only.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:40 AM

Default Re: You think God created Man ?

Both of the religions you refer to can't be true ..... but one is ..... and you don't believe it and that is your privelege .... but you will one day - I believe. And I want you to believe because I believe you need salvation too - I have that right - don't you believe?