Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Going from $0.25/$0.50 to $0.50/$1

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually thinking of moving from .25/.5 to .5/1 at Paradise Poker, how much different are those games?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if 7 Sultans is part of Paradise Poker, but if it is, it seems to me that the biggest difference is that the .5/1 games are noticably tighter.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. I know you say you play pretty much according to the starting guide, I would try to follow it (or perhaps even better SSHE) exactly or perhaps even slightly tighter. Consider mucking offsuit hands like JTo QJo, KTo, QTo after some limers. The thing is they are tough to play post flop and if you are not good post flop they can be leakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wary of these hands, but I usually play them (if that's what ITHE recommends). If the flop doesn't hit me, I check/fold. If I get a draw I play it if the pot odds are right and it seems likely I'm drawing to the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Don't play any offsuit A-x hands lower than A-10 in any instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I pay to play these are from the SB if there's been no raise. I shouldn't do that either?

[ QUOTE ]
3. Check how often you cold call preflop, it should be pretty rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

I follow ITHE on this, meaning I mostly do it with near-premium hands like AQs and when I'm in late position with a small pair and several other callers. So it's pretty rare. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
4. Post flop if you are acting after a bettor with players to act after you, your first thought should be raise or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll keep that in mind.

[ QUOTE ]
5. If you raised preflop with overcards 2-3 handed and you miss, lead out on most flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this sometimes, but perhaps I should do it more often.

[ QUOTE ]
6. Two or three handed post flop, if you think your hand is good, keep value betting on the turn and river. In other words if you have KsJs heads up and bet and are called all the way on a board like K 2 7 9 5, make sure you get your value bet in on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I usually do, unless I try a check-raise (but maybe this isn't a good board for that).

[ QUOTE ]
If you play relatively well pre flop your problems are pretty likely post flop, reading sshe might help you a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that should be the next book on my reading list then.

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:53 AM

Hi there,

You are welcome for the advice, please understand that I was just trying to give my best advice to fill some likely leaks without seeing any hands. It might be you are too tight postflop, and it might be you chase too much.

Regarding off suit broadway, I think they may be mildly profitable from some positions but I guess my point was if you assume you struggle with them post flop, you probably are losing a lot more than you might gain preflop. To quote SSHE,

"These hands are marginal and playable only under favorable circumstances." It lists the circumstances but I would say as a default if you are struggling, consider playing them only from the cutoff and button.

I would suggest mucking A-9o and lower in basically all cases (perhaps first in from the button occasionally might be an excepetion). SSHE recommends mucking these hands even from the sb. The problem is in multiway pots unsuited cards go down in value and if people are playing any ace a hand like A-4o is very very tricky to play postflop.

Cold calling sounds good with the hands you mention.

I lead out with overcards about 90-95% of the time fwiw in a shorthanded game. Especially if it is just the bb who called, since the bb often can't help calling with any two and will miss 2/3 or so of the time. The tricky thing is trying to figure out whether to bet again if called.

Please note I am/was just trying to give you considerations for your game, not tell you definitively what you have to do.

These all basically came from SSHE fwiw, I didn't make them up out of thin air.

Best of luck