Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 12:18 AM

Default Help! PT Auto Rate Criterion Needed for PP.5/1

I took everyone's advice and got PT. Now I am looking at all these numbers and am overwhelmed. And all this is happening during my worst downswing in 6 months.

I am not sure what formulas constitute TAG, LAG, Fish, Rock etc. Can any of you help?

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Help! PT Auto Rate Criterion Needed for PP.5/1

see bison's thread 'some notes on notes' in this forum.

I think I also recall seeing someone had made an import file for the criteria, but not sure who or where it was posted.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:29 AM

Posted in this forum
Old 11-02-2004, 12:53 AM

Does VP > 30 mean Vol. Put $ in Pot % greater than 30
Does PFR < 5 mean Pre flop raise % less than 5
Does TOT-A < 1.5 mean Agression Factor Total less than 1.5
???
Old 11-02-2004, 01:50 AM

yes, yes, yes

WJ
Old 11-02-2004, 02:00 AM

When should I buy PT? I don't want to buy it until I know I'm a profitable player because I will quit playing poker if I'm a losing player. I'd like to save $55. I bought SSH though.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to buy it until I know I'm a profitable player because I will quit playing poker if I'm a losing player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to sound harsh, but if this is how you approach the game you may be better off not playing at all.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:17 AM

Becoming a longterm winning player is largely a marriage of study and experience. If you're worried about your abilities, start small and give it time. You may not be a winning player yet, but you'll probably be able to develop sufficient chops over time to at least hold your own... assuming you're willing to put in the time.

Get yourself a proper bankroll at whatever level you plan to play (300-500BB, tending toward 500 if you want to give yourself a bigger learning cushion and/or you don't plan to ever reload). Don't be afraid to start in the nano-limit games if you don't have the means to buy in at .5/1. It doesn't have to be expensive, and poker is poker. The game textures might change between limits, but all holdem games use the same basic rules. If you're sufficiently invested (emotionally or financially or both) to care whether you win or lose, no limit is too small.

Pick a site that PT can deal with. You're able to import 1000 hands to try it out. If you can't afford to buy it right away, make sure you save your hand histories for later. You'll almost certainly want to buy PT at some point, and having a complete record from day 1 is good. Don't worry about results for a while. Just work hard to improve. Post hands. Comment. Check out some books. You know the drill.

Best of luck.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:52 AM

Thanks for your input. I haven't put any of my own money into my bankroll and I've built up $5 of freeroll winnings into $1500 by playing no limit sit and goes and now more recently playing limit cash games.

I'm comfortable playing $1/$2, but prepared to step down if my BR takes a dip.

I think I'm profitable, but if I'm not I'd probably go back to playing chess; and I'd have wasted $55 on software I don't need.

I wasn't aware I could try out the software for 1000 hands. I guess I can do that before I make any decision.

Oh and by the way, I love to play games. It's fun. I saw this Holdem game on TV and said to myself "Wow! That looks fun!" However, if Texas Holdem is going to cost $ to play, I'll play chess instead, it's free! That's why I am concerned about profitability.

Thanks!