Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 08:49 PM

Default when it gets shorthanded

I tend to abandon my Party $2/4 table when it gets shorthanded unless most of those remaining are tight or passive. In other words I won't stick around with a couple of LAGs, even if I think I have an edge over them.

What do you guys do when it gets shorthanded? (adjust you play I know I know, but what else) Quit or stay? And why?

RH
Old 11-01-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: when it gets shorthanded

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys do when it gets shorthanded? (adjust you play I know I know, but what else) Quit or stay? And why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Stay! I have experience in the 6 max games, and most players who play in full games don't. This gives me an edge.

You should learn to play shorthanded if you haven't. It's very profitable. I shied away from the 6 max games for a long time, but once I finally made myself sit down, I really enjoyed them. You can play more hands and more hands per hour. Some of the worst players on Party can be found in these games. It has made me a better poker player.

When it gets down to 2 or 3, you probably should quit, however, since the rake will eat you up at the low limits.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:02 PM

sum it up like this...

if your a good player, you will play way mmore hands, you will make way more money by outplaying your opponents more often.

If you are not so good, you will lose alot short for the same reason.

In short handed play, the rich get richer much quicker, and the others get poorer.

Many of the recreational players prefer shorthanded games since it provides way more action and fun, than sitting out and watching 70% of the hands.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:36 PM

I'm working on the good player thing! I thought I'd grind my way up to 3/6 full before trying my hand in the 1/2 6-max. I know it would be good for my game.

Now there's just the small matter of my impending fatherhood interupting my poker-time... what age do they start sleeping properly? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

RH
Old 11-01-2004, 09:51 PM

Ive been playing a boat load of shorthanded games lately HU through full games but starting games you start short and pick up players. Ive been doing fine mega short just by bulldozing tactics and value betting a bunch against the weakies.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what age do they start sleeping properly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 19 now, I'll let you know when it starts for me.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:22 PM

This is the best time to be at the table because many players cannot adjust to shorthand play. A good player can make a lot of money... or so I've heard. heh
Old 11-02-2004, 06:46 PM

For me, it depends on the # of tables I'm playing and my desire to play SH. Since I know I need to work on my SH game, my preference is to actually sit at a 6max table when I want to work on this vs. sitting at 4 full tables and then after an hour or so, having to adjust my play at 1 table for SH play. When it gets down to 5, I'll usually check the lobby and see what it looks like. Depending on what I see, I either move to another table or just sit out an orbit or two waiting for the table to fill up again.

I know this probably sounds weak, but it seems to make sense to me to work on improving one area of my game (such as full) at a time vs. two areas (such as full and SH). Some day, I hope to be as good as some of the other posters and be able to make the adjustments without any real thought. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]