Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 05:45 AM

Default The real reason is....

Hello,

[ QUOTE ]
Now, I try to follow these books' recommendations and play tight and solid, but I'm not winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is your problem... With such a HUGE overante.. you must play loose and aggressive..

Superior play on the LATER streets will make/break you in overante games...

I suggest if you want to continue in those games, then you scrap your other reading and pick up a copy of The Theory of Poker

CJ

P.S. - In a little over a week, a few of us mid/higher stake players are going to get together for some fun at Foxwoods. We plan on jumping in a $1-3 game with the new FIFTY CENT ante they have in it. Very similar to game conditions you are describing.. I am sure we will have some hands to post.. Stay tuned...
Old 10-29-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Re: party .5/1 stud structure

Play 3/6!!
Old 10-29-2004, 02:53 PM

Three-card straights tend to suck in high-only stud. The ante structure tends to force one to play them in the Party $.50/1.00 game, though.

For these games, I recommend Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players: 21st Century Edition and High-Low Split Poker for Advanced Players respectively. Astute observers will note that I recommend these books for other styles of games as well.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:57 PM

You might well be better off playing on a different site. This game is beatable, but the structure doesn't bear any resemblence to a "real" stud game. If you play in this game, you have to play somewhat looser than is recommended in the various books out there, but don't get carried away with it. Because the games are so loose, you have to show down the best hand, so don't just limp in with anything. I recommend picking up 7CS4AP and focusing on the Loose Games section.

Drinking and posting is the only way to fly.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the book advice andy. Agreed on three straights overall, but with party's ante structure and rather lack of sophistication in opponents i've so far found them to be profitable if i'm drawing to at least a jack high straight, in an unraised pot. They are definitely hands you have to be quick to release based on betting or opponents boards though.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:52 AM

Agree with playing at Paradise or Stars-the bottom is farther away at these sites and the rake not as critical at the low limits.

Caveat, the 5-stud game at Paradise can be like Froggy's wild ride. No place for the faint of heart. Very high varience. The lowest stakes are $1/$2 with a 50 cent ante. It is fun but a bigger bankroll is needed.

regards,
carlo
Old 11-02-2004, 03:33 PM

Default I agree

I agree with this post.

I have also been playing in the .50/1.00 game on PP. I got very frustrated playing the way I'd play a 1-5 spread or 5-10 game. After a little thought I moved to 1/2 on PP and the results got a lot nicer.

All because of the antes. In the .50/1.00 game you just ante soo much playing tight has you anteing off your stack in a slow and steady decline....or at least very very small profit