Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 01:44 PM

Default New voting machines - How secure is the software???

I left the polls with a very empty feeling today as it was just a touch screen with a thank you message at the end. We're all a bit nevious in florida but it looks like Ohio or New Jersey might take some of the heat if there is a too-close-to-call scenerio again this year.

I've tried a bit of surfing but there will be as many opinions as there are blogs and news sources on the net. I want to know, what level of security does this computerised voting have? I'd be happy if it was at least as secure as say...Ultimate Bet or Empire where I do seem to get a fair deal.

What say you out there?

Please tell me no Microsoft applications are involved in the tabulation process!
Old 11-02-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Re: New voting machines - How secure is the software???

well, at least part of the code is proprietary and sealed...

they did run tests before to prove it's fair...but all it would take is adding a line to that proprietary code that says

if (CurrentDate()=='11/02/2004')
then
.... (insert code to give every 5th kerry vote to W or vice-versa)
Old 11-02-2004, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, at least part of the code is proprietary and sealed...

they did run tests before to prove it's fair...but all it would take is adding a line to that proprietary code that says

if (CurrentDate()=='11/02/2004')
then
.... (insert code to give every 5th kerry vote to W or vice-versa)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the voting machines uses software? I'm guessing yes, but there are ways of hard wiring things. In something as important as the election they might just go that route.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:12 PM

I used one of these machines, and I have absolutely no fear about it. I would take some programming in order to rig the votes, and I have to assume that since we're using them in multiple areas, which containt both heavily Democratic and Republican precincts, that neither party would allow this to happen. Also, I don't see how someone could alter the machines afterwards as there are so many volunteers in the room at any given time. It would look fishy of someone was tearing apart a machine, or repeatedly re-inserting voter cards into it.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do the voting machines uses software? I'm guessing yes, but there are ways of hard wiring things. In something as important as the election they might just go that route.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe they do use software to tabulate the results from all the indiviual machines. They would have to, wouldn't they?

Here is a link to one of the many stories the leads me to be scared for Florida elections again. As if 4 Hurricaines were'nt enough. http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/110204I.shtml
Old 11-02-2004, 02:21 PM

www.blackboxvoting.com
Old 11-02-2004, 02:26 PM

Potentially a system using software would be the most secure way of processing votes. Also potentially a system using software would be a way to best rig an election. I'll bet that Wake Up Call can provided some insight as to how these machines work and how the software is validated to guarantee that the votes are processed fairly and accurately. Anyone else that knows please feel free to elaborate.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... Also, I don't see how someone could alter the machines afterwards as there are so many volunteers in the room at any given time. It would look fishy of someone was tearing apart a machine, or repeatedly re-inserting voter cards into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure the volunteers are good hearted but of those monitoring the machines where I voted, one seemed developmentally challenged and the other was old enough to have voted for Roosevelt.

Teddy! ;~)
Old 11-02-2004, 03:17 PM

The software is very insecure. The process is also under-secured.

Any meaningful attempt to destroy or alter votes on these systems would likely succeed.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:18 PM

The software being proprietary and sealed is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Good security is hard. The more eyes on a security prooblem the harder it is for that problem to "hide."

That's why, for example, encryption algorithms used by banks are all open and subject to public review.