Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Steelers are team to beat in AFC

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But that was only the half of it. Their top reciever was out

[/ QUOTE ]

Steelers are without their starting Cornerback, Chad Scott, so a second-string receiver going against a second-string CB should be a fair match-up, right?

[ QUOTE ]

and Troy Brown was forced into action and he's not 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the Steelers are missing Bell at LB and Hampton at DT. It's not like there weren't mis-matches to be created by players willing to step up.

[ QUOTE ]

They're starting right tackle was out and they were forced to go with a backup who has yet to play this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Steelers lost one of their starting OL for the year in pre-season and are going with a back-up starter for the year. Sorry, but it seems to me if it's not an excuse for the Steelers then it's not an excuse for the Pats.

[ QUOTE ]

Then Light went down and they had to move this backup right tackle to left tackle and then had to move their starting right guard to right tackle and of course have another backup at right guard. It was a disaster with Joey porter having a field day with this makeshift line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joey Porter is playing next to a back-up ILB and they are both playing in a 3-4 set behind a back-up DT making his first start in the NFL.

Let's toss in that the Steelers are also missing their starting QB, and were forced to start a rookie . . . (although when he gets healthy, I'm willing to bet Maddox is told he's a backup . . .)

[ QUOTE ]

Do a little research before making such a ridiculous statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at the injuries to both teams before you use it as an excuse for the loss.

The Steelers D has been devistated with injuries this season, and let's face it -- Porter hasn't been close to the same since he's been shot.

We started Williams at CB for heaven's sake -- a guy who has been second string in Seattle for 2 years and is pushing 40. He's undersized and slow, but Brady couldn't take advantage because Brown is a little dinged up?

Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading through a post before rebutting. I was not claiming that the loss was due to injuries. I knew the injury report for the Steelers and they had a lot of key players out. No way was I going to use the Patriots injuries as an excuse for the loss. Go back and read my post and see if this is the case or not.

Edge had claimed that this game provided evidence that Brady was overrated. That was the claim that I was rebutting. Now if you want to debate that, fire away, but otherwise you're out in left field because I agree that the Patriots got whupped Sunday and the injuries balance out and can't be used as an excuse.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am of the opinion that the reason Tony Dungy hasn't been able to buld a defense is the fact that Peyton is getting $100 mil.

watching how a real QB takes over the game to win it when its nesecary (see Brady's 4th quater comebacks in 2001) and otherwise acts as a team leader in all respects (i don't see Vandercrack and Reggie Wayne getting in Brady's grill) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

McNabb is getting $115 million and the Eagles still have a good defense.

QBs--too much credit when a team wins & too much blame when a team loses.

And no one has yet refuted my point about the Steelers playing a schedule that wouldn't scare the University of Utah.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They lost me $40 to 3 different Steelers fans

[/ QUOTE ]

Pats have made me enough money since Win 15. God bless Brady...
Old 11-02-2004, 11:55 AM

I have to get this off my chest...

First, the Steelers played a great game. It was probably their best game this season. Being the Steeler fan I am, I still think they will struggle to make the playoffs this season. The rest of the scedule is brutal.

Next, and this has nothing to do with how he performed against the Steelers, I am in the camp that thinks Brady is over-rated.

Is he a great leader? YES
Is he a good QB? YES

I am not saying he is a bad QB. I am saying he is over-rated. He has benefitted from playing on a team with a great defense. He is a QB that has done a great job of not making mistakes. He is NOT the QB I would want to start a franchise with.

Lets look at the stats from this year...the year people are starting to (mistakingly) say he is one of the best ever.

QB Rating: 90.8 - 11th in the NFL
Completion %: 60.0 - 18th in the NFL
Yards: 1660 - 13th in the NFL
TDs: 13 - 7th in the NFL
INTs: 7 - 8th most in the NFL

Yes, he has been a winner. Like I said earlier, so was Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson when the defense carried them.

Brady is GOOD. He is not one of the greatest. People were saying the same thing when Kurt Warner was winning with the Rams. Then he fell apart and lost his starting job and was eventually traded away. It was the players surrounding him that made him good.

As someone stated earlier, people put too much recognition/blame on the QB position.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:06 PM

Sorry if that came accross as a personal attack instead of a general response to the injury situtation.

I've just heard that the loss was due to Pats injuries enough that I took the opportunity to respond to that point on a post that at least raises the specter.

I apologize for any mischaracterization of your point that I may have made.

As to the Brady being over-rated comment . . .

I think Brady is a lot like another very good decission making QB -- Neil O'Donnell. Now, I have a great deal of respect for O'Donnell. He took my Steelers to the SB, and frankly had a decent shot at winning it even though the Steelers basically sat out the 1st quarter.

Neil was a great decission maker. He had, at one time, the lowest int/Td ration in the NFL history (maybe he still does). He protected the football, made great decissions, and allowed his team to win with great team efforts. He never made mistakes, and he capitalized on the mistakes of others. He was good enough, and smart enough, to play within the offense and win.

He doesn't have great numbers, because his number one attribute was a great football mind.

Brady is in that category -- his skills are a bit above average, but not great. On a good, well-coached offense, he'll play his role, and win, because he knows his role, and he knows everyone else's role as well.

But I don't think he's the kind of guy who can win a game on his shoulders. He's never going to have the ability to drive an offense on his own will alone, like a John Elway, or the ability to just eat a great defense alive by making miricle pass after miricle pass for 60 straight minutes like Marino was occassionally capable of doing.

He would never be able to take a truly terrible team and occassionally win just because his own sheer talent is greater than the talent of an entire team -- like Archie Manning managed to do a few times.

He wins because he's the right guy in the right offense. And that makes him as good as he needs to be.

I think the media tends to glorify QB's, giving them more credit and more blame than they deserve.

If you look at what QB's are paid to do -- move the chains, score points, and not turn it over . . . Brady is about average in all categories except ints, where he's excellent.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:08 PM

NoChance and Kope:

You guys just said what I basically intended to, only better...thank you.

-Edge
Old 11-07-2004, 03:10 PM

Default bump

Does anyone believe me yet?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: bump

It's too early to annoint them. Remember KC last year?
Old 11-07-2004, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AFC teams better than Pittsburgh:
New England
NYJ
Indy
Denver
Baltimore
Kansas City
Tennessee

Maybe more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you still think this?
Old 11-07-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Re: bump

Pittsburgh doesn't have an awful defense.
Pittsburgh didn't win two games because of kick returns for touchdowns
Kansas City didn't humiliate two undefeated teams midway through the season.

Kansas City was not that good last year. I don't know why anyone thought they were. Please someone tell me why you don't think this Steelers team isn't the favorite to win it all.