Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 02:27 AM

Default nut flush in gigantic pot

Party 3/6, unsure about my play on all streets here (although obviously happy with the result). MP1 is tight-passive preflop, BB is a TAG and all others are >50% VPIP with varying degrees of aggressiveness. It's quite a table even by party standards.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

(loose call of the reraise, facing a possible (probable) cap? so many players...)

Flop: (32.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

(call-reraise to trap for value appropriate?)

Turn: (27.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO calls $4.50 (All-In), Button calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

(checkraise for marginal value? I didn't see much hope in betting into the probable raiser to protect my lone overcard at this point... although maybe two turn bets would have scared one or two off)

River: (31.91 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, Button folds, UTG calls.

(go for overcalls? I couldn't imagine both of the fish behind me folding in this monster pot, whoops)

Final Pot: 35.91 BB

Uh, I had the nuts so no need for results in white.

From pokertracker: UTG limp-reraised with pocket aces, allowing me to sneak in before the flop.

Comments/criticism welcome.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:38 AM

Default Re: nut flush in gigantic pot

fine except easy fold when it's 2 back to you. I don't think it's that close, either. Since there are 8 players it's not the worst thing in the world to do since you're gonna flop you flush draw like 1 in 8 or whatever it is...but basically you want to flop trips, 2 pair or a flush draw. If you flop the ace yuck.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:40 AM

When the pot gets this big preflop and you flop a huge hand like the nut flush draw, you need to get involved and raise/reraise on the flop. When the pot is small, it might be more effective to keep people in by just calling. When the pot gets big, you do not care about losing customers, you need to maximize your chance of winning the pot.

I also raise the river and expect to get cold-called.

The Shill
Old 11-02-2004, 02:50 AM

How did you find this table? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]