Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2004, 01:31 PM

Default Home No Limit Tourney Rules

When moving a player from one table to another, WSOP rule states move the BB to the worst position. Would this be the player who would be BB in the upcoming hand and is the SB and each seat left considered worst to best.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Home No Limit Tourney Rules

It's really up to the host, but I would move random player (by card draw) and move whomever gets the high card to the same relative position on the new table. i.e. if the high card at the fuller table is two left of BB, move him to as close to two left of big blind as possible.

As long as the player to be moved is random, you shouldn't get too many complaints.

I'm still trying to fill one table at my game, so I haven't run into this problem yet. Although, my tournament director software is supposed to figure this out for me automagically.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:57 PM

I believe the player at the fuller table in the same position as the empty seat at the smaller table moves. So if the would be button busts out, the would be button from the big table moves over and becomes button at the smaller (now even) table, and he doesn't lose is position. In large MTT this isn't always possible, but still can be done pretty close.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm still trying to fill one table at my game, so I haven't run into this problem yet. Although, my tournament director software is supposed to figure this out for me automagically.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was some discussion on this topic in a thread on tourney software a couple months ago.

The problem is that I haven't found a single program that manages player movement that is smart enough to handle the "ideal" movement case. That is, that if someone busts out in position "x" relative to the button, the player that is moved from the more populated table should come from position "x" as well.

TournamentDirector doesn't do this, it chooses a random person from the more populous table to fill the seat that was just vacated, unless an entire table collapses in which case it fills all available seats randomly.

I don't think TournamentManager does this either. Someone please speak up if it does.

The feature shouldn't be terribly hard to implement in TD, for instance. When you mark someone as being eliminated, TD could ask which player had the button for that hand in which the elimination occurred, then ask who has the button at the more populated table. Thus you can easily figure out which person should move.

As you mentioned, it pulls a random person, which is really only mildly irritating. I have considered adding a rule that if someone gets moved randomly into either of the blind positions, that they have the option of sitting out until the button passes them. Similar to how PokerStars handles moving a player into the blind. I *think* this would be fair, but I haven't put a whole lot of thought into it.