Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Rate my play

In this hand it looks like SB has two pair or a set with the quick call, no hesitation. If you have seen UTG limp and push with QQ-AA than you can be pretty confident on that read. I would say for 3-1 on the call go for it, although 2 of your 11 outs may be dirty and runner runner spades might kill your hand. This is kind of a "fielder's choice" call.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:48 AM

i'd say this is a fold, you are indeed drawing to a poor flush, and unless i was 100 percent certain (which you can't be, you don't think ax is a limpable hand for some people?) then i would turbo muck it
Old 11-01-2004, 11:31 AM

He never played a drawing hand yet, he was very tight, and he maybe could of limped in with a big ace suited, but I was pretty confident he would not call the rest of his chips with a draw from what he would talk about in the chat and stuff. Like I said, I was 90% sure he wasn't on an ace-crappy kicker suited draw, plus his fast call smelled like the nuts or semi nuts to me.

Well, Im a dangerous player with a lot of chips, and at my table, I would win a ton of blinds in the hand for hand period when it gets short handed when I have a big stack. I think If I call this pot and win, I would have around 40,000 chips. With the blinds at 750/1500, I think I could double my chip stack just by playing my game.

The way, I thought about it, is I could either play my solid game, hoping I double up in the upcoming hands without getting outdrawn, winning my coinflips, etc...

I just really was getting tired of finishing 20-30th after losing one coin flip and becoming crippled, I thought this was a great opportunity to become the chip leader, and go big or go home.

Heres the outcome:

The small blind did have a set of 5's, and the guy from middle position had top pair (KQ), I missed my flush, and was crippled with 3000 in chips left. Opps, oh well.

I went all in a couple hands later vs the big blind with a10 and got outdrawn by q10.

Now Im trying to learn if I would do this again in my situation. Im leaning towards no, and just play my solid game, as I still had 15000 in chips, (I just had 8000 chips and doubled up on 88 vs QJ), and maybe could of made the final table without taking that wild chance.

So, next time I quess this is a fold, I had a 25% chance of winning the hand on flop, and the pot was laying at me 3 to 1. So the pot odds were kind of off. Now some of my buddies only (good NL 200 cash players) say this move is a go big (final table-big money) or go home move, and with the buy in being only 30 bucks, working all night for $100-200 for not making the final table blows.

So, whats the correct play here, given the situation.

Fold- Theres better ways to make the final table

Call-If you know you have the only draw, not sure

I called after using my whole time bank, and making sure I had the only flush draw, I went through there last like 200 hands in my head and couldnt put them on any kind of draw.

[ QUOTE ]
you say the SB is a calling station, why would he not call with a spades draw then? thats what calling stations do...if you have such great reads on your opponents then why dont you wait for a better spot.

with 35 people left how do you *know* that you can make top 4 if you win the hand? seems like you dont know as much as you think you do, and your reads aren't as trustworthy as you thought...to me anyhows

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2004, 11:38 AM

SKUNKWORKS, [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] im sorry if this isnt a donkey play im not really sure what is [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]...1)he THINKS he knows what the other people have 2) he has no hand at the moment 3) even if his draw hits he is not sure he will win 4)He cant even calculate pot odds bc he doesnt know how many suited cards are dead too making someone a Boat....

it just doesnt get much mo donkeyish to me buddy. Like i said b4 if yu cant play with the field by all means MAKE THIS CALL (prolly 28-33% winner) but guess what if u cant play with the field then yuz a donkey nuff said [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2004, 12:06 PM

Lay it down. I would go for a c/r all in on the flop, but when someone pushes and there is a caller this is an easy lay down. There is a good chance your flush will not even be good if it hits, let these two battle it out. The flop here is tricky, because you may not have enough chips to push someone off their hand with a c/r, but pushing yourself does not seem right either, thogh it may be. Without folding equity, this hand is muckable, with folding equity, it is pretty good.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:15 PM

What do you mean by folding equity?
I only have 1500 committed to the pot out of my 15,917 stack. Then two people go all in, and it comes back to me, to call for 10,000.

[ QUOTE ]
Lay it down. I would go for a c/r all in on the flop, but when someone pushes and there is a caller this is an easy lay down. There is a good chance your flush will not even be good if it hits, let these two battle it out. The flop here is tricky, because you may not have enough chips to push someone off their hand with a c/r, but pushing yourself does not seem right either, thogh it may be. Without folding equity, this hand is muckable, with folding equity, it is pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2004, 12:34 PM

I called after using my whole time bank, and making sure I had the only flush draw, I went through there last like 200 hands in my head and couldnt put them on any kind of draw.

wow maybe yu are stu ungar....

this quote is even more funny:

fold- there a better ways to get to the final table

LOL ACTUALLY NO THERE ARENT FOLDING HERE IS HOW PEOPLE WHO MAKE FINAL TABLES CONSISTENLY PLAY!!!

hard lay downs are one way of making a final table i know yuve been watching alot of WPT and Gus Hanson but thats @ a final table not running up too it... if yu dont uinderstand the difference then yull never be a great tourney player(im certainly not one at this time to be sure)

Man i gotto tell yu that unless yur theat huge stack with 40k or a short one with only 4k or less left i lay this fast
Old 11-01-2004, 12:44 PM

I would only go all in if i had alot of outs. ex. flush draw with a straight draw or top pair with a flush draw. I think your getting your money's worth if you had those out.
If you lose.. oh well at least you get some money... if you win you will be in a good position to take the tournament.... so you have to take the chance and go for it.

GL to your future MTT
Old 11-01-2004, 01:31 PM

lol

Ok guys, I really wanted to lay this down, my gut said too, but it was late (3-4am) and I guess my A game was a little off. One of my good cash game players said too call (anderzone).

Ill live by it, as I was decent odds to go big. Next time, Ill just lay it down, and look for a better double up opportunity. Thanks guys.

I really appreciate all the feedback.