Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Recognising and dealing with \"on line tilt\"?

I don't know if this has been discussed before. (I guess it might have though!) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party $25 PLO8 table today I got a maniac on my table. After his second big outdraw I tilted off $50 to him. Luckily I just switched off my computer and "gave up". Only 1% of my online stake blown, but I wonder if it possible to blow off a lot more online. Or is it easier to just sit out and come back when you've cooled off. (Even if this the next day or whatever).

What "coping strategy" do you have?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Recognising and dealing with \"on line tilt\"?

What qualifies as a "maniac" in a PLO8 game, online? If someone is starting with particularly nasty hands, isn't it good for everyone? Usually the pot odds in those games give the three-out draw freaks something to think about. I dont need a coping mechanism for PLO8. It's too wide open.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:07 PM

At least your able to walk away from the table when you notice you're on tilt. Thats the most important concept when playing poker. If only I could do that most of the time I'd be fine. Just dont go trying to make your money back that you "should've" won.

When offsuit connectors start looking good in EP, is when I know i'm tilting and I need to quit.

Since I play with pennies and 'free money' I could easily come back and play later in the day after cooling off, or I just go do some other hobbies of mine. Like video games or reading, or working out. It helps get my mind off poker, which is exactly what I need.

Currently though, I've been playing a little on tilt being down 2.80, the last 3 days. Geez that is 70 bb in a 0.02-0.04 limit. (It's all relative [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) So I'm on a few days break for sure.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:11 PM

Everyone has their own demons. Mine was that when things didn't go perfectly for me, I would sometimes find myself chasing back losses by moving up to higher limits. Then the problem was exacerbated because I would combine playing while steaming with playing a much higher limit than I should have. Ouch. Did this at 80/160 a few times, and you can see how that would erase a lot of the great hours I had had playing 5/10. If shutting off your computer is the answer for you, that is awesome. If changing games or sites works for you, great. I now change tables when either I'm not getting the cards to fit my image, or I'm getting outplayed. It's amazing how good it feels to hit the exit button on a table after a really tough beat. Changing the scenery is something I do a lot too if I'm running bad. I have accounts at many different sites, so I find a different one and play there. The styles of play are diff at diff sites too, so maybe a diff site is working better at certain time because of the style of play you are reverting to. At least for me anyway. Gl