Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Dumb question about books

Finish Lee Jones' book and then read "Small Stakes Hold'em" by Ed Miller. Then continue to study TOP.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bwana,

At what level do you think players start playing tight enough that WLLH stops giving you a +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps at the two lowest levels of each site. so at pokerroom it would be great for .25/.50 to .50/1.00

at party i suppose .50/1.00 and 1/2

I'm moving up levels now and bouncing between 2/4 and 3/6 at sites. WLLH got me here but I don't think I could forge ahead w/ only the knowledge from that book.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bwana,

At what level do you think players start playing tight enough that WLLH stops giving you a +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will still be a slightly positive player at Partys 3/6 games actually. I'd guess you could hover at maybe 0.5BB/100 or so. SSH should take you to 3BB/100 if applied flawlessly.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:16 PM

I disagree with your ratios. I think WLLH (at say, $3/6 for example), will get you most of the profit 1-1.5 BB/100.

Where SSH will help squeeze out that last little bit possible (assuming of course that you have already mastered WLLH's ABC play) and get you to the 2 BB/100 range.

I actually used WLLH advice, to the letter, all the way up to $10/20 at Pacific. The players at Pacific are a lot worse than Party, so I was still making about 2 big bets per hour at the $5/10, using only WLLH advice. Against bad players, all you really need is "ABC" poker. When I play, I always start with default "ABC" play, and only deviate if I notice a specific reason (read on a player, short-handed table, etc.)
Old 10-31-2004, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with your ratios. I think WLLH (at say, $3/6 for example), will get you most of the profit 1-1.5 BB/100.

Where SSH will help squeeze out that last little bit possible (assuming of course that you have already mastered WLLH's ABC play) and get you to the 2 BB/100 range.

I actually used WLLH advice, to the letter, all the way up to $10/20 at Pacific. The players at Pacific are a lot worse than Party, so I was still making about 2 big bets per hour at the $5/10, using only WLLH advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll trust your word on it. Maybe I exaggerated how little WLLH would win you at 3/6 as it seems to inferior today.

Most of SSH is ABC play though. It's just significantly better ABC play than that of WLLH.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:06 PM

I don't consider SSH advice "ABC" poker. I actually think it's more advanced than most of the advice in HPFAP. Some of its concepts are counter-intuitive compared to basic play (bet/raise when strong, fold when not).

The advise in SSH is more complex and inherently more volatile than WLLH advise. If you master it, you will have a higher win rate, but at the cost of higher variance. The advise in SSH can even be detrimental to a player who has not mastered the basic "ABC" play, because he could easily misuse the advice as an excuse to be ultra loose/aggressive.