Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 02:44 AM

Default Re: REVIEW: Ed Miller\'s new book \"Small Stakes Hold\'Em\" (first 82 page

[ QUOTE ]
do you want pictures?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, I was told there would be a picture of a safe full of cash in this thread.....SHOW ME THE MONEY!
Old 10-15-2004, 06:43 AM

Default Re: REVIEW: Ed Miller\'s new book \"Small Stakes Hold\'Em\" (first 82 page

[ QUOTE ]
Hi edrugtrader,

Perhaps you missed my response to your offer to play a friendly game. Please take a look at my message and let me know when you would like to unleash your badass poker skillz on me.

Thanks!

El Diablo

[/ QUOTE ]

El Diablo you ***hole.

I will play you 5c/10c HE. Anytime. Anywhere.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:40 AM

you couldnt be more wrong about the differences in 5/10 and 10/20 online.
my winrate at 5/10= X

my winrate at 10/20=1.95X
staying at 5/10 makes absolutely no sense, esp. for the reasons given by you.

but hell, i have only been playing poker for 11 months now, what do i know.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:14 AM

Default Re: REVIEW: Ed Miller\'s new book \"Small Stakes Hold\'Em\" (first 82 pages)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I went from following Lee Jones to Ed's advice and it really hurt my bank roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is VERY possible you were not applying the concepts properly. It's also possible that you were just in a bad swing I suppose too but I suspect the former.

There were a rash of very weird posts right after SSH came out where people clearly didn't get it.
I saw a couple of people post a hand-history and their thoughts where they had something like 7d6h and there were 2 hearts on the flop and they would say "well, normally I would fold in this situation....but my back-door flush draw makes it okay to call."

How it is possible to think that your lone 6h would be good if runner-runner hearts came is beyond me. Especially since Ed specifically states that you have to consider the liklihood that your hand will be good.

I'm not saying that you made errors that egregious. But it seems there were MANY individuals who would come on here and say 'Look, I played it just like SSH told me to' only to be told 'Ummmmm, that's not even close to how SSH recommends you should play.'

So...basically, my hunch is that you THOUGHT you were playing the SSH way but actually were not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if what your saying is true that poses a great problem for the authors of this book, especially if there is a large % of people misunderstanding.

Communication is never really about what you say, it's about what I think I understand you to be saying. If I am misunderstanding what your saying, even in your book, then you need to change the way you communicate so that the majority understand your meaning.

Again, I have not read the book, just stating my opinion regarding the misinterpretation of the info...

Good looking out MicroBob

Wow, didn't realize how big this thread was so if what I've said is a repeat or has been discussed, then my apologies.

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co
Old 10-26-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Re: REVIEW: Ed Miller\'s new book \"Small Stakes Hold\'Em\" (first 82 pages)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I went from following Lee Jones to Ed's advice and it really hurt my bank roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is VERY possible you were not applying the concepts properly. It's also possible that you were just in a bad swing I suppose too but I suspect the former.

There were a rash of very weird posts right after SSH came out where people clearly didn't get it.
I saw a couple of people post a hand-history and their thoughts where they had something like 7d6h and there were 2 hearts on the flop and they would say "well, normally I would fold in this situation....but my back-door flush draw makes it okay to call."

How it is possible to think that your lone 6h would be good if runner-runner hearts came is beyond me. Especially since Ed specifically states that you have to consider the liklihood that your hand will be good.

I'm not saying that you made errors that egregious. But it seems there were MANY individuals who would come on here and say 'Look, I played it just like SSH told me to' only to be told 'Ummmmm, that's not even close to how SSH recommends you should play.'

So...basically, my hunch is that you THOUGHT you were playing the SSH way but actually were not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if what your saying is true that poses a great problem for the authors of this book, especially if there is a large % of people misunderstanding.

Communication is never really about what you say, it's about what I think I understand you to be saying. If I am misunderstanding what your saying, even in your book, then you need to change the way you communicate so that the majority understand your meaning.

Again, I have not read the book, just stating my opinion regarding the misinterpretation of the info...

Good looking out MicroBob

Wow, didn't realize how big this thread was so if what I've said is a repeat or has been discussed, then my apologies.

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect if the subject matter is complex.

If I am giving you directions from my work to my house, it's a very simple task, and I should be able to get you there with very little problem, even if you've never been to Minneapolis. (Assuming you already know how to drive, etc).

If I am writing an intstruction manual to teach you how to drive, it's a much more complicated task. I guarantee there will be situations that come up that I did not cover, and it's very possible you will choose to apply the wrong lessons/rules when faced with an unknown situation. It doesn't mean my manual was flawed, it means that driving is too complex to be summed up in one book.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:02 PM

The problem is that you are assuming an unneccesarily small example. For a player that 4-tables (or more) small stakes games online every day and spends a reasonable amount of time at small stakes tables in card rooms, you will face situations like A2s in early or middle position more than 15 times.

Assume that you 4-table (full ring) 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. Maybe you get 45 hands per hour per table. For about 14 or 15 of those per table (about 60 incl. all tables) you will be in early position (seats 3-5). You will see 120 hands in early or middle position per day. 600 per week. More than 2,400 per month. About 30,000 per year.

That's 30,000 hands in early position each year. How often is A2s dealt? I'm honestly not positive, but for argument's sake, let's say you only get A2s once out of every 330 hands. So in just one year, you will see A2s suited in early or middle position about 90 times.

How many hands do you think are necessary for the "small" +EV to bear itself out?

Remember, Ed is assuming a game where many players play too many hands and take their hands way too far. He is also assuming that you are a good enough player to throw the hand away when the pot is small and it's clear that you're behind.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is incorrect if the subject matter is complex.

If I am giving you directions from my work to my house, it's a very simple task, and I should be able to get you there with very little problem, even if you've never been to Minneapolis. (Assuming you already know how to drive, etc).

If I am writing an intstruction manual to teach you how to drive, it's a much more complicated task. I guarantee there will be situations that come up that I did not cover, and it's very possible you will choose to apply the wrong lessons/rules when faced with an unknown situation. It doesn't mean my manual was flawed, it means that driving is too complex to be summed up in one book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I see where you are coming from, I guess a book is a bit different than a face to face communication. I have been trained to treat communication from a sales perspective in that, if you don't understand what I'm saying or understand your need for what I'm communicating to you about, then it's not you fault. I need to be flexible enough to change my communication in as many ways as possible until you understand the communication, when the interaction is concluded you still haven't got it then the problem is with my ability to be flexible and communicate to you properly, not your fault that you didn't get what I'm saying.

In essence, it's my problem if you don't understand, not yours, a major paradigm shift if you will. I can't say, well he just doesn't get it, I can only say that I need to learn to be more flexible in my communication with that type of person.

Sorry so long winded, hopefully someone will get something out of it.

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co