Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 05:43 PM

Default KJo river quandary

Wasn't really sure how to play this hand here. As I said in my previous post I just started playing short handed yesterday. I'm trying to improve my short game so I can more comfortably beat the 15/30, not to mention that I've found out 6 max is good fun/profits (so far atleast!). I also notice I'm getting reads better on players when I'm playing 6 max. SB in this hand is very aggressive preflop and pretty aggressive on the flop but slows down on the turn and river. He 3-bet once with T7s and has raised a lot with hands UTG and UTG+1 I wouldnt even play from the SB. The BB is pretty aggressive as well. He's not afraid to play back at anyone. That's about all I had so far in the session. Also if you'd play any of the other streets differently let me know as well. How's the turn check?? I'm normally pretty aggressive with overcards when I raise preflop, but this looked like a good spot to check the turn. Also whats the most profitable play on the river?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero ????

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.50 BB, between SB, BB and Hero.</font>

Thanks
Ponks
Old 10-27-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Re: KJo river quandary

I really want to say raise because an aggressive player might have done something with the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] already, I have trouble seeing the sb overcalling as well if you call 2 on the river (and preflop raise and turn check) is consistent with a big heart, the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] seems to remote to really fear, and BB is aggressive.

But if has the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you pay 2 bets on the river, and that's no fun. And what heart did BB raise the river with that you beat- the Q or J? Although your turn check looks like a big heart (if he is thinking about you). So all-in all I think its close but I like raising, primarily becuase the BB is overaggro and you don't win an extra bet by calling because I think the sb folds on the river.

The turn check is good cause of the check with outs/bet with no no outs distinction (you ahev toc all a turn check-raise), the fact that the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] fills straight and flush draws and you were called in two spots on the flop makes a turn check-raise likely and you don't appear to have much bluffing equity anyway with two opponents on such a connected board.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But if has the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you pay 2 bets on the river, and that's no fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I'm a little confused here. Wouldn't I be paying 4 bets then if either the SB or the BB has the 5 or A of [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ? (Assuming I take your advice to 3-bet the river)

Thanks
Ponks
Old 10-28-2004, 06:10 PM

Default Results

I ended up calling the 2 bets, and the SB called one more.
SB had K5 for the straight on the board (no heart)
BB had the Queen high flush with QJ
and MHIG!

Ponks
Old 10-28-2004, 06:17 PM

Yes, I meant 2 "more" bets than you would have paid had you called.