Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Unimproved AK vs a LAG and others

Button is a big time LAG. Follows thru if he is the aggressor, calls down with queen highs.
MP1 is loose passive, Coldcalls too much, but his plays are somewhat reasonable.
UTG+1 is LAG too, but not as LAG as button, plays more reasonably than the button.
Hero is insane.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Button calls.

River: (16.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.75 BB, between MP1, Button and Hero.</font>

My plan was to isolate the super LAG! But was my play reasonable or just crazy.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Unimproved AK vs a LAG and others

If Button is a LAG, cap this preflop.

The flop checkraise is fine, but I'd let this go on the turn. It's not button you need to be concerned about, but MP1. Once he calls two cold on this flop, I'm more or less done with it.

Rob
Old 10-27-2004, 08:45 PM

I think if you wanted to really isolate then the preflop was the best time to do this. A cap might make the other players think twice before going in for 2 cold.
On the flop I really don't think you will be able to shake anyone off since there's not scare card and is 2 connected. I would probably play the hand as a drawing hand from the flop, with the raise option as a second plan of attack. By the turn, I might be inclined to ditch the hand since there's still 3 other opponents and the presence of a 2nd spade and the fact that your A's and K's might be counterfited by someone holding K6, K9, KT, and especailly A6, A9, or AT. I would not count the 2 A or K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and discount your remaining 4 outs in half. Leaving you with 2 outs and a pot that only paying 1:11. I would fold on the turn to the raise.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:57 AM

Thanks for responding [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yep I think I shouldve capped Preflop. The only reason I can think of why I didn't when I looked back at the hand was that I had been checkraising the LAG a LOT during the session to try and isolate him, so I didnt want to risk capping preflop and then checking to the LAG on the flop, which looks like a very suspicious play, thus preventing him from betting. I think he'd be less likely to bet if I capped then the action checked to him.

WHen it was coldcalled twice on the flop, I was thinking crap. But I guess I couldnt resist trying to isolate again.
Should I really let this go on the turn? I figured my hand could still beat Button's if I could fold the other two, as they are getting worse odds, plus might even fold their TPs and I might clean up my outs? (wishful thinking against these types of players? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])
Old 10-28-2004, 06:06 AM

I don't think capping preflop will fold the two extra players as they tend to call more when they have already invested, but capping is good still because I have a hand that wins a good percentage of the time.

On the flop my goal is to isolate the LAG, so raising in the hopes of folding the other two players increases the chances of my Ace High being the best hand at the showdown, since there's a good chance that the Button could have nothing right now, and my nothing would be better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Calling does not protect my hand which could be best right now (unlikely), and does not put pressure on a weak hand like Q9, that has the best hand now but could fold it incorrectly. That was what I was hoping for with the flop riase.

On the turn, if my opponents had hands like the ones you listed, would facing them with a checkraise scare them enough to fold what might be the best hand?

I think my only two options on the turn are fold or raise. I'm just trying to set up the argument for raising. :/