Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Internet Texas Hold Em Guide Says....

[ QUOTE ]
"Consider slow playing your premium hands AA KK and AKs in a tight, aggressive game."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but if you're in a tight-aggressive game you should be looking to find other more profitable games. If you don't know why you should be raising AA or KK PF almost all of the times, you probably won't be doing very well in tough games... again you didn't state your limit, but if its not a really high limit then you should not be playing in very many tight-aggressive games.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Raising Pre-Flop No Deceptive Value?

If you have not already, I would read small stakes hold'em by ed miller, you will understand why everyone does what they do
Old 10-27-2004, 04:25 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Probably already been said, but i'll say it again.

If you're trouble is not getting enough action on hands when you raise preflop, your range is too narrow. You're probably not raising with enough hands.

I get plenty of action when i raise preflop. Even when i fold for 2+ hours str8.

b
Old 10-27-2004, 09:20 AM

Default What situation do you need to do a limp-reraise pre flop?

Last night I tried to experiment with attempting a couple of limp-reraises with AA or KK in UTG or UTG+1 at Party 2/4. What table conditions do you need for this to work? Raising AA or KK preflop at UTG or UTG+1 and stealing the blinds is not really fun.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Internet Texas Hold Em Guide Says....

[ QUOTE ]
I just found this

Internet Texas Hold'em by Mathew Hilger

p 105

"Consider slow playing your premium hands AA KK and AKs in a tight, aggressive game."

[/ QUOTE ]

So what limit are you playing at online that has a "tight, aggressive game" - and why don't you change tables?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:17 AM

There is only deceptive value when your opponents are paying attention. Even if they are you should be raising a variety of other hands from early positions and even more from middle positions that when you raise AA you will still get action. There have been times when I had AA or KK in the big blind and the table folded around to me, it happens; and similiarly you may bet out in early position and everyone will fold.

Optimally you want to be able to raise out of early position with your premium hands and get some action which should be created by the way you play other hands. Don't lose bets by limping with AA because everyone folded once, put pressure on your opponents with other hands that will allow your best hands to play even better. Additionally the limp re-raise is about as transparent a move as there is in limit poker, but it is still rather effective against sub-standard opponents. Information is important, but deception at the cost of money in the pot is not what we're shooting for.

cjx
Old 10-27-2004, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you randomly raise other times with just for the hell of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play lower limit games, you should be raising anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the hands you play.

As you move up in limits, this ratio will increase.

In every instance, you will have a reason for raising - don't just do it randomly.