Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Going to Vegas This Friday!!!

Hey All,

I am going to Vegas on Friday and I would like to play at least one tournament. In looking around on the net I think I either want to play the 60 dollar buyin at the Shoe or the 100 freezout in the morning at the Luxor. Has anyone played in either of these or any others that you would reccomend? I'm there for a bachelor party with non-poker players so I cant really devote a great deal of time to playing while I'm there. Saturday during the day would be the best time. Anyway, Thanks!
Old 10-26-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Going to Vegas This Friday!!!

Just got back on Sunday. Had a great time. And just your luck, I played in both of those tournaments (sorta).

Thursday I played in the $60 tournament at the Horseshoe. I did the optional T500 add-on for $10 (who wouldn't?) and five hours later I finished 7th with $312 (pocket K's got turned by AK which crippled me, otherwise I would've coasted to 3rd at the least). I thought this was the best run tournament I played in while in Vegas or anywhere else for that matter. The blind structure was very good. I also played in their $2/$4 game while waiting for the tournament and at least 3 of the players had never played before.

We stayed two nights at the Luxor and I played in the $25 freezeout on Saturday I believe, against my better judgement. I'd heard it wasn't a very good tournament and that ended up being the case. You only start with 10BB and the first hour is limit, then you switch to NL. Wasn't a big fan of this tourney so I'd avoid it like everyone else says. Plus their chips looked like they had been run over by a semi-truck, very low quality. I don't know about the $100 tourney that they have, as I didn't play in that one. I played in some more $2/$4 and their $50 NL game and did pretty decent.

Since you don't have much time I think the Horseshoe tournament is probably out of the question. You're looking at a good 4-5 hours to make the final table (my field size was 85) at the minimum. The Luxor tournaments are over pretty quickly (2 hours max) since they only allow 40 or so people to play not to mention no re-buys. But I didn't like their structure so I didn't play again.

I think the Orleans has some on the weekends, and also Imperial Palace, but I didn't make it to either place so I don't know. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Going to Vegas This Friday!!!

I played in the Luxor tournament and I hated it. The first hour they play it at Limit, then after that it is No-Limit. The best tournaments that I found were at the Orleans and Mandalay Bay. I never tried Binions. My favorite spot to play ring games was Excalibur, which I found really beatable.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:56 PM

Default What is a freezout tourney

Rookie question...Can anyone tell me what a freezout tourney is?
Old 10-26-2004, 05:10 PM

Default Re: What is a freezout tourney

No rebuys, no add-ons, just the inital buy-in.