Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Moved up too soon?

Worked my way up to 300BBs for the 5/10 6max at party playing 1/2 6max at party and then 2/4 6 max at some other sites while clearing bonuses there. Have about 22,000 hands in poker tracker (VP$IP = 25.65%, W$WSF = 32.96, BB/100 =4.44, W$SD = 55.82), so I decided to take a shot at 5/10. Was running alright at begining, then I took 100BB downswing in a little under 1500 hands. Going to be dropping back down to rebuild some of the bankroll and a little confidence. I think the swing was mostly because of adjusting badly to the new level. I'm not used to not being the only player at the table who raises with something besides a big pocket pair/AK. Basicly I'm wondering whats the most important adjustment or what is something that specificly helped you when first making the move to 5/10 6 max?
Old 10-26-2004, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Moved up too soon?

I'm no expert, but losing 100 BB's in 1500 hands is a fairly common occurance (or at least it is not uncommon) so don't let it shake you up too badly. I think most people would suggest you keep a slightly larger roll for the 6-max games (maybe 400-500 BB's) to help handle the swings.

J
Old 10-26-2004, 12:56 AM

What helped me was playing more, I moved up once took a nasty hit came down, went back played more hands and appreciate the play of the game more, also playing stars 2/4 and 3/6 is a "somewhat" similar game.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:48 AM

probably just a bad run. i think if you can beat the 2-4 stars game you should be able to beat the 5-10 party game

blubster
Old 10-26-2004, 04:31 AM

I think the 300BB BR is too small when you move up above micros (unless you can afford to lose it all).

I want a good 500+BB and 10k hands per limit now just to make sure I am ready and confident even if I lose 100BB in my first session.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:47 AM

I have moved up from 0.50/1 and I am now playing 10/20, always SH. At every move up I have begun with losing. Basic rule: play a little tighter then u usually does. This will make u survive a little longer when you are trying to understand how to play. Nothing wrong with being a rock only VP$IP 16-18% the first 20-30 hours.

Many ok players play a little tighter then you preflop (I have 21.5%) and most of them win more when seen flops (35-40%, I think) and they dont win so many showdowns (around 50%)... If u are raising enough (aggression factor above 2 postflop) I guess you fold to much. But if theses stats are from microlimits maybe u aint, but at 5/10 u should win above 36% I tihnk.

Building 500BB before moving up is totally wrong way of thinking. If u think u are good enough for the level its better to say to yourself: "Ok, here we got 150BB, lets play until I lost them and then go dowm and win back those 150BB and then up again". You will be surprised, already 2nd time I would guess - because u have had some time to think about it - u will be a winner. If u take 500BB with u, u can easily lose them before understanding how to play. Better go down and think it over because its hard to analyze, specially if u are on a bad run.

This month I have had 1 125BB dip and 1 90BB dip at 10/20, it happens all the time. Also, there is a huge difference between a player winning 1.5BB/100 and 3BB/100. The former one will have much, much bigger dips then the 2nd. So when u are knew to a level, even if u beat it, u are probably winning a little less then u will do later and therefore u will have you biggest dips in the beginning (when u are not used to the level and all the $ dissapearing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )
Old 10-26-2004, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Was running alright at begining, then I took 100BB downswing in a little under 1500 hands. Going to be dropping back down to rebuild some of the bankroll and a little confidence. I think the swing was mostly because of adjusting badly to the new level.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll disagree with others here and say that you should worry about the 100BB drop and are right to drop a level.

It's true that a 100BB drop is not a big deal, but that's if you already have a winning record at a particular level. If you don't have the winning history, you have to think the 100BB loss is a sign that you haven't made the correct adjustments. If your instincts were to drop back down, I would go with them.

But of course, don't be afraid to take another shot after you rebuild bankroll and confidence.

[ QUOTE ]

W$WSF = 32.96, BB/100 =4.44

I'm not used to not being the only player at the table who raises with something besides a big pocket pair/AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm kind of confused here. I have a W$WSF of about 37% or 38% at Party 5/10/6m. You have 33% but with a healthy BB/100 of 4.4. That makes me think your past games were much looser than you will find at Party 5/10. But I would also assume these games were more passive and yet your statement seems to imply you find 5/10 more passive? I have only played Party so can't compare to other sites.

I also moved from Party 3/6/10m to 5/10/6m without too much difficulty, so maybe you could consider Party 3/6 as training. Obviously, the full is different from short, but it lets you get a better feel for Party to the extent it is different from other sites.